Xojo Developer Conference
25/27th April 2018 in Denver.
MBS Xojo Conference
6/7th September 2018 in Munich, Germany.

depth sorting problems with RB3D (Real Studio games Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: deforming a TriMesh (was Re: Project idea: tactical RPG)
Next thread: I'm stuck and need a tow


Re: explosions   -   Jeff Quan
  depth sorting problems with RB3D   -   Jeremy Smoler
   Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D   -   Frank C.
   Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D   -   Joseph J. Strout
   Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D   -   Chris Dillman
   Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D   -   Frank C.
    Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D   -   Jeremy Smoler
     Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D   -   Joseph J. Strout
     Re: Modelers that handle 3DMF?   -   Joseph J. Strout
    Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D   -   Jeremy Smoler
     Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D   -   Joseph J. Strout

depth sorting problems with RB3D
Date: 06.01.04 06:07 (Tue, 6 Jan 2004 00:07:44 -0500)
From: Jeremy Smoler
I am writing a game that uses RB3D to display 2D sprite graphics. My
setup is pretty straightforward: Each sprites is an instance of
Object3D. Normally I use AddShapePictureWithMask to place 32-bit
images with transparency on the sprites. I try to control the drawing
order by setting the Z coordinates of the sprite objects. However,
the depth sorting rarely works correctly: sprites are often drawn in
the wrong order, sometimes with oddly shaped regions of the sprites
comingling. Sometimes changing a sprite's shape causes its drawing
order to change. I have tried using AddShapePicture instead of
AddShapePictureWithMask. For some reason, this eliminates the depth
sorting problems. However, I cannot continue to use AddShapePicture
because I need support for 32-bit color and partial transparency. I
have Quesa SDK 1.6d17 installed, and am using RealBasic 5.2.4 on
MacOS 10.3.2. Thanks for any help.

Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D
Date: 06.01.04 07:06 (Tue, 6 Jan 2004 01:06:16 -0500)
From: Frank C.
On 6-Jan-04, at 12:07 AM, Jeremy Smoler wrote:

> ...transparency...Quesa SDK 1.6d17...

Alpha sorting was broken in that release. Quesa 1.6d18 was sorta
released here <http://www.refnum.com/tmp/> and fixes that particular
issue.

Frank.

- - -
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D
Date: 06.01.04 15:53 (Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:53:35 -0600)
From: Joseph J. Strout
At 12:07 AM -0500 1/6/04, Jeremy Smoler wrote:

>However, the depth sorting rarely works correctly: sprites are often
>drawn in the wrong order, sometimes with oddly shaped regions of the
>sprites comingling. Sometimes changing a sprite's shape causes its
>drawing order to change. I have tried using AddShapePicture instead
>of AddShapePictureWithMask. For some reason, this eliminates the
>depth sorting problems. However, I cannot continue to use
>AddShapePicture because I need support for 32-bit color and partial
>transparency. I have Quesa SDK 1.6d17 installed, and am using
>RealBasic 5.2.4 on MacOS 10.3.2.

There are problems with depth sorting of translucent surfaces (such
as what you get with AddShapePictureWithMask when using a nonsolid
mask) in Quesa 1.6d17. I believe these are fixed in the next
release, which has been done for months but we've had a bit of
logistical trouble getting the release out the door. You might sign
up for the Quesa mailing list, and pester the powers that be there.

Best,
- Joe

P.S. Please turn off the HTML formatting when posting to RB lists. Thanks!

Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D
Date: 06.01.04 21:27 (Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:27:56 -0600)
From: Chris Dillman
>On 6-Jan-04, at 12:07 AM, Jeremy Smoler wrote:
>
>>...transparency...Quesa SDK 1.6d17...
>
>Alpha sorting was broken in that release. Quesa 1.6d18 was sorta released here

Is this safe to use or beta?

Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D
Date: 06.01.04 21:47 (Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:47:16 -0500)
From: Frank C.
On 6-Jan-04, at 3:27 PM, Chris Dillman wrote:

>> On 6-Jan-04, at 12:07 AM, Jeremy Smoler wrote:
>>
>>> ...transparency...Quesa SDK 1.6d17...
>>
>> Alpha sorting was broken in that release. Quesa 1.6d18 was sorta
>> released here
>
> Is this safe to use or beta?

Well officially they're both "developer" releases. It seems better than
1.6d17 at any rate, but it does have some problems. If you can, grab &
compile the current CVS source as many things have been fixed since
these releases. Joe is pushing for a new release on the Quesa list
(again), hopefully someone will actually get around to it this time.

Frank.

- - -
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D
Date: 06.01.04 22:04 (Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:04:04 -0500)
From: Jeremy Smoler
That works beautifully. Another problem I've been having: my sprites
show up with random-color pixels around their edges. These pixels
follow the rectangular border of the sprite.

- - -
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D
Date: 06.01.04 22:21 (Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:21:21 -0600)
From: Joseph J. Strout
At 4:04 PM -0500 1/6/04, Jeremy Smoler wrote:

>That works beautifully. Another problem I've been having: my sprites
>show up with random-color pixels around their edges. These pixels
>follow the rectangular border of the sprite.

Hmm... I remember seeing that once, long ago, but haven't seen it in
a while and I can't remember what caused it. What hardware are you
running on? Can you reproduce this with a simple example?

Best,
- Joe

Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D
Date: 08.01.04 09:23 (Thu, 8 Jan 2004 03:23:15 -0500)
From: Jeremy Smoler
You know, I'm having trouble duplicating it in a simpler RB project.
I'm using an iMac G4 1GHz, with OSX 10.3.2 and RB 5.2.4.

> >That works beautifully. Another problem I've been having: my sprites
>>show up with random-color pixels around their edges. These pixels
>>follow the rectangular border of the sprite.
>
>Hmm... I remember seeing that once, long ago, but haven't seen it in
>a while and I can't remember what caused it. What hardware are you
>running on? Can you reproduce this with a simple example?

- - -
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: depth sorting problems with RB3D
Date: 08.01.04 15:49 (Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:49:12 -0600)
From: Joseph J. Strout
At 3:23 AM -0500 1/8/04, Jeremy Smoler wrote:

>You know, I'm having trouble duplicating it in a simpler RB project.
>I'm using an iMac G4 1GHz, with OSX 10.3.2 and RB 5.2.4.

Well, keep at it, there must be some difference between your simpler
project and the one where the problem occurs. Are you using the same
sprite images in both cases? Constructing the Object3Ds in the same
way?

HTH,
- Joe