Xojo Conferences
XDCMay2019MiamiUSA

computeBounds returns Nil for picture shapes? (Real Studio games Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: Background Music
Next thread: Partially hidden polygons


[ANN] Preview of RBD 2.4   -   Marc Zeedar
  computeBounds returns Nil for picture shapes?   -   LMSpam neuropop.com
   Re: computeBounds returns Nil for picture shapes?   -   LMSpam neuropop.com
   Re: computeBounds returns Nil for picture shapes?   -   Joseph J. Strout
   Re: computeBounds returns Nil for picture shapes?   -   LMSpam neuropop.com
   Re: computeBounds returns Nil for picture shapes?   -   Joseph J. Strout

computeBounds returns Nil for picture shapes?
Date: 06.01.05 17:55 (Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:55:26 -0500)
From: LMSpam neuropop.com
swtiching gears for a second...

My Gorilla class currently uses photos downloaded from the web site as
the Shape for its mObject3D property. I tried "FindBounds" and got Nil
for mBounds and Bounds, so I tried setting Bounds directly w/

Gorilla.mObject3D.Bounds = Gorilla.mObject3D.computeBounds(2)

but this also returned NIL

does using a picture as the shape mean my Gorillas have no bounds?

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: computeBounds returns Nil for picture shapes?
Date: 06.01.05 19:22 (Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:22:41 -0500)
From: LMSpam neuropop.com
Hmm.... getBounds and findBounds continue to return Nil, but
computeBounds is returning a value. Of course only *after* the picture
has actually downloaded...


On Jan 6, 2005, at 1:36 PM, Joseph J. Strout wrote:

> At 11:55 AM -0500 1/6/05, <email address removed> wrote:
>
>> My Gorilla class currently uses photos downloaded from the web site
>> as the Shape for its mObject3D property. I tried "FindBounds" and got
>> Nil for mBounds and Bounds, so I tried setting Bounds directly w/
>>
>> Gorilla.mObject3D.Bounds = Gorilla.mObject3D.computeBounds(2)
>>
>> but this also returned NIL
>
> That's very odd.
>
>> does using a picture as the shape mean my Gorillas have no bounds?
>
> No, I use bounds for such objects all the time. Could you have some
> sneaky logic error, where you're trying to get the bounds before
> actually adding the shape or something like that?
>
> Best,
> - Joe
>
> --
> REAL World 2005 - The REALbasic User Conference
> March 23-25, 2005, Austin, Texas
> <http://www.realsoftware.com/realworld>
> _______________________________________________
> Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
> <http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>
> Search the archives of this list here:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: computeBounds returns Nil for picture shapes?
Date: 06.01.05 19:36 (Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:36:55 -0600)
From: Joseph J. Strout
At 11:55 AM -0500 1/6/05, <email address removed> wrote:

>My Gorilla class currently uses photos downloaded from the web site
>as the Shape for its mObject3D property. I tried "FindBounds" and
>got Nil for mBounds and Bounds, so I tried setting Bounds directly w/
>
>Gorilla.mObject3D.Bounds = Gorilla.mObject3D.computeBounds(2)
>
>but this also returned NIL

That's very odd.

>does using a picture as the shape mean my Gorillas have no bounds?

No, I use bounds for such objects all the time. Could you have some
sneaky logic error, where you're trying to get the bounds before
actually adding the shape or something like that?

Best,
- Joe

Re: computeBounds returns Nil for picture shapes?
Date: 06.01.05 20:31 (Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:31:12 -0500)
From: LMSpam neuropop.com
I knew the findBounds and getBounds were part of renegades - the
Gorilla mObject3d is subclassed from object3dcullable, so I'm not sure
why findBounds returns Nil, but computeBounds is returning a value, so
that's good.

On Jan 6, 2005, at 2:50 PM, Joseph J. Strout wrote:

> At 1:22 PM -0500 1/6/05, <email address removed> wrote:
>
>> Hmm.... getBounds and findBounds continue to return Nil, but
>> computeBounds is returning a value. Of course only *after* the
>> picture has actually downloaded...
>
> Only ComputeBounds is a built-in function; the others you mention are
> I believe part of the Renegades engine class hierarchy. It stores a
> separate copy of the bounds, for performance reasons, rather than
> keeping it directly on the Object3D. Perhaps this is what's causing
> the confusion here.
>
> Best,
> - Joe
>
> --
> REAL World 2005 - The REALbasic User Conference
> March 23-25, 2005, Austin, Texas
> <http://www.realsoftware.com/realworld>
> _______________________________________________
> Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
> <http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>
> Search the archives of this list here:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: computeBounds returns Nil for picture shapes?
Date: 06.01.05 20:50 (Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:50:25 -0600)
From: Joseph J. Strout
At 1:22 PM -0500 1/6/05, <email address removed> wrote:

>Hmm.... getBounds and findBounds continue to return Nil, but
>computeBounds is returning a value. Of course only *after* the
>picture has actually downloaded...

Only ComputeBounds is a built-in function; the others you mention are
I believe part of the Renegades engine class hierarchy. It stores a
separate copy of the bounds, for performance reasons, rather than
keeping it directly on the Object3D. Perhaps this is what's causing
the confusion here.

Best,
- Joe