MBSSep2018MunichDE

OS X Preferences menu RB35b? (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Previous thread: Re: Noteplayer
Next thread: Receiving appleevents

Re: why is carbon drawing sooo slow??   -   Charles Yeomans
  OS X Preferences menu RB35b?   -   Jay E. Lichtenauer
   Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?   -   BahamutZERO
    Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?   -   Cristian
     Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?   -   Noah Desch
      Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?   -   Cristian
       Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?   -   Mr. Weasel Willits
        Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?   -   Mr. Weasel Willits
     Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?   -   Patrick Wynne
     Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?   -   Mr. Weasel Willits
   Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?   -   Lorin Rivers

OS X Preferences menu RB35b?
Date: 07.08.01 18:40 (Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:40:34 -0500)
From: Jay E. Lichtenauer
How do I use that Preferences menu in OS X using RB35bx? TIA.

Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?
Date: 07.08.01 18:55 (Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:55:01 -0400)
From: BahamutZERO
1) Get the OSX-Utils plugin to remove the Preferences menu if you don't
need it.
2) Place this code in the HandleAppleEvent event of an Application class
instance:

select case eventClass

case "aevt"

select case eventID

case "pref"
//Mac OS X pref menu

end select

end select

return true

This should allow you to handle the menu. I don't know the URL for the
OSX-Utils plugin, so can anyone reply to this mesage and post it?

Jeff

On Tuesday, August 7, 2001, at 01:40 PM, Jay E. Lichtenauer wrote:

> How do I use that Preferences menu in OS X using RB35bx? TIA.
> -- Jay Lichtenauer, MacinMind Software
> http://macinmind.com/
> ---
> Subscribe to the digest: <mailto:realbasic-nug-
> <email address removed>>
> Unsubscribe:
> <mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?
Date: 07.08.01 19:32 (Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:32:32 -0400)
From: Cristian
Can someone enlighten me, and tell me what this is all about?

Does RB 3.5 incorporate a mandatory "preferences" menu in your application?

-Cristian

>1) Get the OSX-Utils plugin to remove the Preferences menu if you
>don't need it.
>2) Place this code in the HandleAppleEvent event of an Application
>class instance:
> select case eventClass
> case "aevt"
> select case eventID
> case "pref"
> //Mac OS X pref menu
> end select
> end select
> return true
>This should allow you to handle the menu. I don't know the URL for
>the OSX-Utils plugin, so can anyone reply to this mesage and post it?
>Jeff
>On Tuesday, August 7, 2001, at 01:40 PM, Jay E. Lichtenauer wrote:
>>How do I use that Preferences menu in OS X using RB35bx? TIA.
>>-- Jay Lichtenauer, MacinMind Software
>>http://macinmind.com/
>>---
>>Subscribe to the digest: <mailto:realbasic-nug-
>><email address removed>>
>>Unsubscribe:
>><mailto:<email address removed>>
>--
>Co-Founder of MacStorm Systems
>Programmer at MacStorm Systems
>http://storm.macdiablo2.com
>http://customs.macstarcraft.com
><email address removed>
>---
>Subscribe to the digest: <mailto:<email address removed>>
>Unsubscribe:
><mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?
Date: 07.08.01 19:44 (Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:44:29 -0400)
From: Noah Desch

On Tuesday, August 7, 2001, at 02:32 PM, Cristian wrote:

> Can someone enlighten me, and tell me what this is all about?
> Does RB 3.5 incorporate a mandatory "preferences" menu in your
> application?

OSX provides a preferences menu item. This is about how to use that
menuitem.

-Noah Desch
Wireframe Software

"This could take thousands and thousands of nanoseconds... this might even
take a whole SECOND!"
-ReBoot, the best cartoon ever.

Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?
Date: 08.10.01 05:17 (Mon, 8 Oct 2001 00:17:56 -0400)
From: Cristian
>>Does RB 3.5 incorporate a mandatory "preferences" menu in your application?
>OSX provides a preferences menu item. This is about how to use that menuitem.

I tried searhcing the list on Yahoo, but it has been broken for a few days now.

Can anyone tell me what the result of this thread was? I want my
preferences to appear under the correct dedicated menu in OSX.

Thanks,
-Cristian

Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?
Date: 08.10.01 05:24 (Sun, 07 Oct 2001 21:24:15 -0700)
From: Mr. Weasel Willits
>>> Does RB 3.5 incorporate a mandatory "preferences" menu in your application?
>> OSX provides a preferences menu item. This is about how to use that menuitem.
> I tried searhcing the list on Yahoo, but it has been broken for a few days
> now.
> Can anyone tell me what the result of this thread was? I want my
> preferences to appear under the correct dedicated menu in OSX.

It's quite simple. Use this to enable the default preferences menu:

Declare Sub EnableMenuCommand Lib "CarbonLib" (inMenu as Integer,
inCommandID as OSType)
EnableMenuCommand 0, "pref"

then handle eventID "pref" in the HandleAppleEvent event of you application
class - whenever you receive one, that means someone chose the preferences
menuitem.

then you just have to hide your old preferences menu item using .close or
.visible = false.

------------------Seth Willits---------------
It's all about the belly fire.
_____ http://freaksoftware.tripod.com/ ______

Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?
Date: 08.10.01 05:26 (Sun, 07 Oct 2001 21:26:25 -0700)
From: Mr. Weasel Willits
>> I tried searhcing the list on Yahoo, but it has been broken for a few days
>> now.
>> Can anyone tell me what the result of this thread was? I want my
>> preferences to appear under the correct dedicated menu in OSX.
> It's quite simple. Use this to enable the default preferences menu:
> Declare Sub EnableMenuCommand Lib "CarbonLib" (inMenu as Integer,
> inCommandID as OSType)
> EnableMenuCommand 0, "pref"
> then handle eventID "pref" in the HandleAppleEvent event of you application
> class - whenever you receive one, that means someone chose the preferences
> menuitem.
> then you just have to hide your old preferences menu item using .close or
> .visible = false.

Oh, when you .close your menuitem, do it in the open event of the
application, not the EnableMenuItems event. Otherwise you'll get a nil
exception.

------------------ Seth Willits -------------------
Only two things are infinite, the universe and
human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein
-------- http://freaksoftware.tripod.com/ ---------

Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?
Date: 07.08.01 19:45 (Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:45:44 -0700 (PDT))
From: Patrick Wynne
--- Cristian <<email address removed>> wrote:
> Can someone enlighten me, and tell me what this is all about?
> Does RB 3.5 incorporate a mandatory "preferences" menu in your
> application?

Nope, but OS X does.

Patrick Wynne

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger

Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?
Date: 07.08.01 19:46 (Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:46:52 -0700)
From: Mr. Weasel Willits
> Can someone enlighten me, and tell me what this is all about?
> Does RB 3.5 incorporate a mandatory "preferences" menu in your application?

No, OSX does. That was the steps necessary to use it.

------------------- Seth Willits ---------------------
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
-Albert Einstein
--------- http://freaksoftware.tripod.com/ -----------

Re: OS X Preferences menu RB35b?
Date: 07.08.01 20:08 (Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:08:50 -0500)
From: Lorin Rivers
At 12:40 PM -0500 8/7/2001, Jay E. Lichtenauer wrote:
>How do I use that Preferences menu in OS X using RB35bx? TIA.

This discussion belongs on the DR list.

Thanks!