RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: What realbasic is good for
Next thread: socket array


Re: Oracle plugins   -   AugSoft
  RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace   -   Alex Rice
   Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace   -   Will Leshner
    Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace   -   Alex Rice
     Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace   -   Noah Desch
      Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace   -   Norman Palardy
       Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace   -   Joseph J. Strout
     Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace   -   Will Leshner

RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace
Date: 31.07.02 00:48 (Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:48:46 -0600)
From: Alex Rice
After using RB 4.5 for a couple of days, I got my first IDE
crash. No apparent reason for it.

What's strange to me is the stack trace looks like RB was doing
some database connections from within Apple Script. See all the
AE* stuff below. This project uses REALdb. I'm not using
AppleScript anywhere in this project. Is this weird?

Date/Time: 2002-07-30 17:41:17 -0600
OS Version: 10.1.5 (Build 5S66)
Host: localhost

Command: REALbasic 4.5 Mac OS X
PID: 448

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000010

Thread 0 Crashed:
#0 0x00702524 in structureSelectColumnValue(dbCursor *, int,
char **, dbFieldType *, int *)
#1 0x00553654 in cursorFieldDateValueGetter
#2 0x0066b4a8 in DisposeObjectRefs(ObjectBase *)
#3 0x0066b5c0 in DebugCleanupLeftovers(void)
#4 0x0066eafc in 0x66eafc
#5 0x0070f370 in AEHandleRun
#6 0x735fce08 in TryEventTable
#7 0x735f2d8c in AEMDispatcher
#8 0x735f3f4c in aeResumeTheCurrentEvent
#9 0x735f79d8 in aeSend
#10 0x0070e108 in AEWrapper::Send(long, long, short)
#11 0x007ae5bc in GlobalHandleMenuCommand(long)
#12 0x007aeba8 in HandleMenu(unsigned char, unsigned long)
#13 0x0058c748 in
EnvironmentEventQueue::HandleMenuItem(unsigned char, long)
#14 0x005792a8 in PumpedEventQueue::InternalHandleEvents(void)
#15 0x00578858 in 0x578858
#16 0x0058f120 in HandleEvents(void)
#17 0x0058f4dc in mainloop(void)
#18 0x0058d0b4 in main

Alex Rice, Software Developer
Architectural Research Consultants, Inc.
<email address removed>
<email address removed>


---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace
Date: 31.07.02 02:16 (Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:16:48 -0700)
From: Will Leshner
That's AppleEvents, not AppleScript. I wouldn't be surprised if RB used
AppleEvents all over the place behind the scenes.

On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 04:48 PM, Alex Rice wrote:

> What's strange to me is the stack trace looks like RB was doing some
> database connections from within Apple Script. See all the AE* stuff
> below. This project uses REALdb. I'm not using AppleScript anywhere in
> this project. Is this weird?

---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace
Date: 31.07.02 02:55 (Tue, 30 Jul 2002 19:55:27 -0600)
From: Alex Rice

On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 07:16 PM, Will Leshner wrote:

> That's AppleEvents, not AppleScript. I wouldn't be surprised if
> RB used AppleEvents all over the place behind the scenes.
>

Really for what? Apple Events are for interprocess or
interapplication communication. I'm not a Carbon programmer. I am
just curious why one would use Apple Events outside of making
your app scriptable.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
Architectural Research Consultants, Inc.
<email address removed>
<email address removed>


---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace
Date: 31.07.02 03:12 (Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:12:27 -0400)
From: Noah Desch

On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 09:55 PM, Alex Rice wrote:

>
> On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 07:16 PM, Will Leshner wrote:
>
>> That's AppleEvents, not AppleScript. I wouldn't be surprised if RB used
>> AppleEvents all over the place behind the scenes.
>>
> Really for what? Apple Events are for interprocess or interapplication
> communication. I'm not a Carbon programmer. I am just curious why one
> would use Apple Events outside of making your app scriptable.

Well you have to use them to make your app recordable too, and RB is
recordable. I didn't see the stack trace but in a recordable application
it's sometimes considered good form to implement all actions by sending
apple events to yourself and letting your apple event interpreter initiate
the requested task. I don't know if that's how RB works but it would offer
a plausible explanation.

-Noah Desch
Wireframe Software
http://wireframe.virtualave.net

"This could take thousands and thousands of nanoseconds... this might even
take a whole SECOND!"
-ReBoot, the best cartoon ever.

---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace
Date: 31.07.02 03:48 (Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:48:10 -0600)
From: Norman Palardy
In fact sending yourself apple events is THE way to make your
application recordable

The up side to this is you factor the user interface away from the
functionality
Done to the fullest extent you get a way that someone could conceivably
put a different user interface on your application and their UI would
drive your application via Apple Events
If you check out a very recordable/scriptable application like Quark you
can do pretty much anything Quark is capable of without every opening
Quark itself

On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 08:12 PM, Noah Desch wrote:

>
> On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 09:55 PM, Alex Rice wrote:
>
>>
>> On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 07:16 PM, Will Leshner wrote:
>>
>>> That's AppleEvents, not AppleScript. I wouldn't be surprised if RB
>>> used AppleEvents all over the place behind the scenes.
>>>
>> Really for what? Apple Events are for interprocess or interapplication
>> communication. I'm not a Carbon programmer. I am just curious why one
>> would use Apple Events outside of making your app scriptable.
>
> Well you have to use them to make your app recordable too, and RB is
> recordable. I didn't see the stack trace but in a recordable
> application it's sometimes considered good form to implement all
> actions by sending apple events to yourself and letting your apple
> event interpreter initiate the requested task. I don't know if that's
> how RB works but it would offer a plausible explanation.

---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace
Date: 31.07.02 04:43 (Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:43:13 -0700)
From: Joseph J. Strout
At 8:48 PM -0600 7/30/02, Norman Palardy wrote:

>In fact sending yourself apple events is THE way to make your
>application recordable

Yeah, what he (and Noah) said. The crash log was simply showing the
AppleEvent that RB sends to itself when you select the Run menu
command, which is what makes running an app recordable.

Cheers,
- Joe

Re: RB 4.5 crash & interesting stack trace
Date: 31.07.02 03:20 (Tue, 30 Jul 2002 19:20:31 -0700)
From: Will Leshner
Making you app scriptable is one reason to use Apple Events. I can't
remember if RB makes our apps scriptable/recordable without our doing
anything special or not. But some problems are easier to solve using
AppleEvents. Many answers to questions on this list involve using
AppleEvents to do one thing or another. Frequently it has to do with
talking to the Finder or another app.

On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 06:55 PM, Alex Rice wrote:

> Really for what? Apple Events are for interprocess or interapplication
> communication. I'm not a Carbon programmer. I am just curious why one
> would use Apple Events outside of making your app scriptable.

---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>