Xojo Developer Conference
25/27th April 2018 in Denver.
MBS Xojo Conference
6/7th September 2018 in Munich, Germany.

where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ? (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Previous thread: OpenBase Plugin 3.0a2 for REALbasic
Next thread: I did RB2VB

Re: RB 4.5.0 OS X Runtime failure...   -   vincent
  where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?   -   Dominik Fusina - The Captain
   Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?   -   Ian Mantripp
    Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?   -   Dominik Fusina - The Captain
     Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?   -   Ian Mantripp
       Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?   -   Aaron Ballman
       Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?   -   Joseph J. Strout
        Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?   -   Patrick Wynne
         Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?   -   Randall Meadows
          RB 4.5 Database Plugins : 4D Server 6.8 ?   -   Stéphane Pinel <
     Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?   -   Norman Palardy

where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?
Date: 31.07.02 10:44 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:44:56 +0200)
From: Dominik Fusina - The Captain
Hi,

I would like to know where is saved the comment placed into the file infos
window (you know, on the finder, when select a file icon, and call apple+i).

can someone help me ?

web : http://www.nemo.fr
__________________________
Beatnik France at:
e-mail : <email address removed>
__________________________
Avertissement: toute utilisation
de nos emails à des fins commerciales,
(spamings, prospection,...) ou autres buts
non autorisés implicitement par la société NEMO
fera l'objet immédiatement de poursuites pénales.

Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?
Date: 31.07.02 11:38 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:38:35 +0200)
From: Ian Mantripp
on 31/07/02 11:44 am, Dominik Fusina - The Captain wrote:

> I would like to know where is saved the comment placed into the file infos
> window (you know, on the finder, when select a file icon, and call apple+i)..

I don't know where it's saved (used to be the desktop file I think), but you
can access it using AppleScript.

Ian
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ian Mantripp - codeboy Telemak
Tel: +32 (0)2 475 3333 Streaming Media Technologies
Mobile: +32 (0)476 66 3545 <http://www.telemak.com>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?
Date: 31.07.02 11:48 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:48:18 +0200)
From: Dominik Fusina - The Captain
on 31/07/02 12:38, Ian Mantripp at <email address removed> wrote:

> I don't know where it's saved (used to be the desktop file I think), but you
> can access it using AppleScript.

Great. But I need to read and write comment... And I doubt that Applescript
could help me...

Dominik Fusina
Captain of NEMO

Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?
Date: 31.07.02 12:29 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:29:20 +0200)
From: Ian Mantripp
on 31/07/02 12:48 pm, Dominik Fusina - The Captain wrote:

> Great. But I need to read and write comment... And I doubt that Applescript
> could help me...

Why do you doubt that ???

Take a look at the Finder's Item class, there is a property called "Comment"
which I believe is r/w.

There may be a plugin that can read / write comments but it won't do it any
better than AppleScript !

Ian
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ian Mantripp - codeboy Telemak
Tel: +32 (0)2 475 3333 Streaming Media Technologies
Mobile: +32 (0)476 66 3545 <http://www.telemak.com>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?
Date: 31.07.02 12:40 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:40:14 +0200)
From: Dominik Fusina - The Captain
on 31/07/02 13:29, Ian Mantripp at <email address removed> wrote:

> Why do you doubt that ???
> Take a look at the Finder's Item class, there is a property called "Comment"
> which I believe is r/w.
> There may be a plugin that can read / write comments but it won't do it any
> better than AppleScript !

OK. Thanx. I take a look.

Dominik Fusina
Captain of NEMO

Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?
Date: 31.07.02 13:01 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:01:39 -0500)
From: Aaron Ballman
it's saved in the 'vers' part of the resource fork. I don't know the exact
name of it, but you can use declares to get at it, and set it as well. I
_think_ it's called PackageInfo... I can tell ya more when I'm cognizant
again (aka, at work and near a reference manual)

~Aaron

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dominik Fusina - The Captain" <<email address removed>>
To: "REALbasic Network Users Group" <<email address removed>>
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 6:40 AM
Subject: Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?

> on 31/07/02 13:29, Ian Mantripp at <email address removed> wrote:
> > Why do you doubt that ???
> >
> > Take a look at the Finder's Item class, there is a property called
"Comment"
> > which I believe is r/w.
> >
> > There may be a plugin that can read / write comments but it won't do it
any
> > better than AppleScript !
> OK. Thanx. I take a look.
> Dominik Fusina
> Captain of NEMO
> ---
> <mailto:<email address removed>>
> Unsubscribe:
> <mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?
Date: 31.07.02 15:23 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:23:08 -0700)
At 7:01 AM -0500 7/31/02, Aaron Ballman wrote:

>it's saved in the 'vers' part of the resource fork.

No, it really is saved in the desktop database. Getting to it is a
pain in the tuckus even in C; of course sufficiently complex declares
(or a plug-in) could do it in RB, but I agree with the previous
answers that an embedded AppleScript is probably the best way to go.

Cheers,

Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?
Date: 31.07.02 22:24 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:24:37 -0700 (PDT))
From: Patrick Wynne
--- "Joseph J. Strout" <<email address removed>> wrote:
> At 7:01 AM -0500 7/31/02, Aaron Ballman wrote:
> >it's saved in the 'vers' part of the resource fork.
> No, it really is saved in the desktop database. Getting to it is a
> pain in the tuckus even in C; of course sufficiently complex declares
> (or a plug-in) could do it in RB, but I agree with the previous
> answers that an embedded AppleScript is probably the best way to go.

At least when I've tried it with AS, or even using AppleEvents, it
takes forever to get the comment and sometimes even hangs the app.

I've done it with declares but even that is problematic: I couldn't
find a declare that would allow you to get/set the comments from a
floppy disk. I guess because there is no Desktop Database on floppies,
just a Desktop File.

Patrick

=oD
Patrick Wynne
<http://home.earthlink.net/~patwynne/>

=_D_
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Health - Feel better, live better

Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?
Date: 01.08.02 14:45 (Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:45:00 -0400)
From: Randall Meadows
On 7/31/02 at 2:24 PM -0700, Patrick Wynne wrote:

> > No, it really is saved in the desktop database. Getting to it is a
>> pain in the tuckus even in C; of course sufficiently complex declares
>> (or a plug-in) could do it in RB, but I agree with the previous
>> answers that an embedded AppleScript is probably the best way to go.
>At least when I've tried it with AS, or even using AppleEvents, it
>takes forever to get the comment and sometimes even hangs the app.
>I've done it with declares but even that is problematic: I couldn't
>find a declare that would allow you to get/set the comments from a
>floppy disk. I guess because there is no Desktop Database on floppies,
>just a Desktop File.

Perhaps you can glean something from
<http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/Files/MoreFiles.htm>.
Yes, this is raw toolbox code (I'm an old TB programmer, an RB
newbie), but perhaps it'll get you on your way.

Specifically, look at DTGetComment() in MoreDesktopMgr.c.

Also, there are some interesting comments in that file, like errata
for Inside Macintosh!

Re: where is saved a COMMENT from file infos ?
Date: 31.07.02 19:37 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:37:12 -0600)
From: Norman Palardy
It can as you can ask the finder to read and write the comments and
update it's display to match

On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 04:48 AM, Dominik Fusina - The Captain
wrote:

> on 31/07/02 12:38, Ian Mantripp at <email address removed> wrote:
>> I don't know where it's saved (used to be the desktop file I think),
>> but you
>> can access it using AppleScript.
> Great. But I need to read and write comment... And I doubt that