Xojo Developer Conference
25/27th April 2018 in Denver.
MBS Xojo Conference
6/7th September 2018 in Munich, Germany.

A scrolling list of pictures? (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: Re: Scrap Manager Question
Next thread: Need Grid Control


Re: The basics of text parsing   -   Jan Erik Moström <
  A scrolling list of pictures?   -   Justin Leavens
   Re: A scrolling list of pictures?   -   Joseph J. Strout
    Re: A scrolling list of pictures?   -   Steve Schacht
     Re: A scrolling list of pictures?   -   Seth Willits
   Re: A scrolling list of pictures?   -   Sam Rowlands
    Re: A scrolling list of pictures?   -   Justin Leavens
     Re: A scrolling list of pictures?   -   Seth Willits
      Re: A scrolling list of pictures?   -   Justin Leavens
     Re: A scrolling list of pictures?   -   Sam Rowlands
   Re: A scrolling list of pictures?   -   Steve Schacht
   Re: A scrolling list of pictures?   -   Seth Willits

A scrolling list of pictures?
Date: 01.08.02 00:30 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:30:05 -0700)
From: Justin Leavens
I still can't figure out how to present a scrolling list (or grid) of
pictures to a user to choose from. I've tried using a listbox with
rowpicture, but the pictures (about 200 x 200 pixels) are pinned to the left
side of the screen, showing only the right half of the picture.

Is there any sample code anywhere that presents a list of pictures? This is
driving me crazy.

Re: A scrolling list of pictures?
Date: 01.08.02 01:21 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:21:05 -0700)
From: Joseph J. Strout
At 4:30 PM -0700 7/31/02, Justin Leavens wrote:

>I still can't figure out how to present a scrolling list (or grid) of
>pictures to a user to choose from. I've tried using a listbox with
>rowpicture, but the pictures (about 200 x 200 pixels) are pinned to the left
>side of the screen, showing only the right half of the picture.

Why not draw the pictures yourself in the CellPaint event?

Cheers,
- Joe

Re: A scrolling list of pictures?
Date: 01.08.02 02:32 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 19:32:30 -0600)
From: Steve Schacht
On 7-31-2002 6:21 PM, Joseph J. Strout wrote:

> At 4:30 PM -0700 7/31/02, Justin Leavens wrote:
>
>> I still can't figure out how to present a scrolling list (or grid) of
>> pictures to a user to choose from. I've tried using a listbox with
>> rowpicture, but the pictures (about 200 x 200 pixels) are pinned to the left
>> side of the screen, showing only the right half of the picture.
>
> Why not draw the pictures yourself in the CellPaint event?

Hey, that's too obvious and simple! ;-) Now why didn't I think of
that... :-/

---
Steve Schacht
<email address removed>

---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: A scrolling list of pictures?
Date: 01.08.02 08:02 (Thu, 01 Aug 2002 00:02:27 -0700)
From: Seth Willits
On 7/31/02 6:32 PM, the NSA intercepted the following message from "Steve
Schacht" <<email address removed>>:

>>> I still can't figure out how to present a scrolling list (or grid) of
>>> pictures to a user to choose from. I've tried using a listbox with
>>> rowpicture, but the pictures (about 200 x 200 pixels) are pinned to the left
>>> side of the screen, showing only the right half of the picture.
>>
>> Why not draw the pictures yourself in the CellPaint event?
>
> Hey, that's too obvious and simple! ;-) Now why didn't I think of
> that... :-/

Because it's not a very good choice if your pictures are different sizes?
You can't make the row heights vary from one to the next.

Seth Willits
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
President and Head Developer of Freak Software - http://www.freaksw.com
Q&A Columnist for REALbasic Developer Magazine - http://www.rbdeveloper.com

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you
sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity."
-- Albert Einstein
---------------------------------------------------------------------------




---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: A scrolling list of pictures?
Date: 01.08.02 08:49 (Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:49:42 +0100)
From: Sam Rowlands
I placed picture drawing code within the cellTextPaint event of a list
box and it work very nicely, It allowed me to do everything that you
could with a canvas...

On Thursday, August 1, 2002, at 12:30 , Justin Leavens wrote:

> I still can't figure out how to present a scrolling list (or grid) of
> pictures to a user to choose from. I've tried using a listbox with
> rowpicture, but the pictures (about 200 x 200 pixels) are pinned to the
> left
> side of the screen, showing only the right half of the picture.
>
> Is there any sample code anywhere that presents a list of pictures?
> This is
> driving me crazy.
Regards

Sam Rowlands

---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: A scrolling list of pictures?
Date: 04.08.02 00:00 (Sat, 03 Aug 2002 16:00:31 -0700)
From: Justin Leavens
Sorry, don't mean to be thick here, but I've only been at this a couple of
weeks. Assume I have my JPEG picture in variable P, what code do I use in
the CellTextPaint event to draw the picture in a Listbox cell?

Thanks!

On 8/1/02 12:49 AM, "Sam Rowlands" <<email address removed>> wrote:

> I placed picture drawing code within the cellTextPaint event of a list
> box and it work very nicely, It allowed me to do everything that you
> could with a canvas...
>
> On Thursday, August 1, 2002, at 12:30 , Justin Leavens wrote:
>
>> I still can't figure out how to present a scrolling list (or grid) of
>> pictures to a user to choose from. I've tried using a listbox with
>> rowpicture, but the pictures (about 200 x 200 pixels) are pinned to the
>> left
>> side of the screen, showing only the right half of the picture.
>>
>> Is there any sample code anywhere that presents a list of pictures?
>> This is
>> driving me crazy.
> Regards
>
> Sam Rowlands
>
> ---
> Subscribe to the digest:
> <mailto:<email address removed>>
> Unsubscribe:
> <mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: A scrolling list of pictures?
Date: 04.08.02 00:06 (Sat, 03 Aug 2002 16:06:00 -0700)
From: Seth Willits
On 8/3/02 4:00 PM, the NSA intercepted the following message from "Justin
Leavens" <<email address removed>>:

> Sorry, don't mean to be thick here, but I've only been at this a couple of
> weeks. Assume I have my JPEG picture in variable P, what code do I use in
> the CellTextPaint event to draw the picture in a Listbox cell?

Move it out of the textpaint event and into the cellbackgroundpaint event
and use g.drawPicture p, 0, 0

Seth Willits
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
President and Head Developer of Freak Software - http://www.freaksw.com
Q&A Columnist for REALbasic Developer Magazine - http://www.rbdeveloper.com

"Microsoft is to Apple as Honda is to Ferrari"
-- Me
---------------------------------------------------------------------------



---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: A scrolling list of pictures?
Date: 04.08.02 00:31 (Sat, 03 Aug 2002 16:31:31 -0700)
From: Justin Leavens
Wow! Throw in a "Return True" to keep the highlighting from overwriting the
picture when the line is selected, and it works almost as I had always
dreamed!

Many thanks to all who helped me with this.

On 8/3/02 4:06 PM, "Seth Willits" <<email address removed>> wrote:

> On 8/3/02 4:00 PM, the NSA intercepted the following message from "Justin
> Leavens" <<email address removed>>:
>
>> Sorry, don't mean to be thick here, but I've only been at this a couple of
>> weeks. Assume I have my JPEG picture in variable P, what code do I use in
>> the CellTextPaint event to draw the picture in a Listbox cell?
>
> Move it out of the textpaint event and into the cellbackgroundpaint event
> and use g.drawPicture p, 0, 0

Re: A scrolling list of pictures?
Date: 04.08.02 22:02 (Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:02:13 +0100)
From: Sam Rowlands
Dear Justin,
it can be done by placing a single line into the CellTextPaint event.

g.drawpicture p,<xposition>,<yposition>

end if you don't want it to draw the text as well add.

return true

I hope this helps.

On Sunday, August 4, 2002, at 12:00 , Justin Leavens wrote:

> Sorry, don't mean to be thick here, but I've only been at this a couple
> of
> weeks. Assume I have my JPEG picture in variable P, what code do I use
> in
> the CellTextPaint event to draw the picture in a Listbox cell?
>
> Thanks!
Regards

Sam Rowlands

---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: A scrolling list of pictures?
Date: 01.08.02 00:47 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:47:31 -0600)
From: Steve Schacht
On 7-31-2002 5:30 PM, Justin Leavens wrote:

> I still can't figure out how to present a scrolling list (or grid) of
> pictures to a user to choose from. I've tried using a listbox with
> rowpicture, but the pictures (about 200 x 200 pixels) are pinned to the left
> side of the screen, showing only the right half of the picture.

Couldn't you use ImageWell or Canvas controls on top of a Canvas container
and then scroll the containing Canvas?

---
Steve Schacht
<email address removed>

---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: A scrolling list of pictures?
Date: 01.08.02 00:54 (Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:54:05 -0700)
From: Seth Willits
On 7/31/02 4:30 PM, the NSA intercepted the following message from "Justin
Leavens" <<email address removed>>:

> I still can't figure out how to present a scrolling list (or grid) of
> pictures to a user to choose from. I've tried using a listbox with
> rowpicture, but the pictures (about 200 x 200 pixels) are pinned to the left
> side of the screen, showing only the right half of the picture.
>
> Is there any sample code anywhere that presents a list of pictures? This is
> driving me crazy.

How much money do you have? :)

I have a pretty cool solution to the world's troubles. If you're interested
contact me off list. I might have to spruce it up though...

Seth Willits
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
President and Head Developer of Freak Software - http://www.freaksw.com
Q&A Columnist for REALbasic Developer Magazine - http://www.rbdeveloper.com

"Sometimes you just gotta think outside the box."
-- Everyone
---------------------------------------------------------------------------


---
Subscribe to the digest:
<mailto:<email address removed>>
Unsubscribe:
<mailto:<email address removed>>