autocompletion in CW8 (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Previous thread: idle Applescript

RE: autocompletion in CW8   -   J S Flowers
    Re: autocompletion in CW8   -   Will Leshner
     Re: autocompletion in CW8   -   Will Leshner
      eyedropper tool (was Re: autocompletion in CW8)   -   Joseph J. Strout
   Re: autocompletion in CW8   -   J S Flowers

autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 18:02 (Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:02:38 -0700)
From: Will Leshner
Autocompletion is a new feature in CodeWarrior 8. I wonder if MW is
feeling the heat from RB :) But CW's autocompletion just doesn't work
correctly. RB's implementation is far more useful. I'm probably going to
have to figure out how to turn CW's autocompletion off soon as it almost
never makes the right suggestion but still pops up in my way.

Re: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 19:16 (Fri, 09 Aug 2002 11:16:27 -0700)
From: Seth Willits
On 8/9/02 10:02 AM, the NSA intercepted the following message from "Will
Leshner" <<email address removed>>:

> Autocompletion is a new feature in CodeWarrior 8. I wonder if MW is
> feeling the heat from RB :) But CW's autocompletion just doesn't work
> correctly. RB's implementation is far more useful. I'm probably going to
> have to figure out how to turn CW's autocompletion off soon as it almost
> never makes the right suggestion but still pops up in my way.

CW's confuses me. I can't even figure out how it works. I thought it would
be cool to use but it's really useless as far as I see.

The problem with CodeWarrior implementing a REALbasic-like autocomplete is
the sheer number of functions and datatypes it would have to index. Not to
mention, it would have to *know* all of them which I don't belive would be
very easy (or maybe even possible). The Mac Toolbox used to have around 8000
functions and I'm sure it's the same or grown with all the new technologies.
Then people drop in tons of libraries, thousands and thousands of lines of
code... that's a lot of functions.

That'd also be a very looooong list if you simply typed "A" then tab.

Seth Willits
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
President and Head Developer of Freak Software - http://www.freaksw.com
Q&A Columnist for REALbasic Developer Magazine - http://www.rbdeveloper.com

"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kick boxing."
-- Someone
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 19:28 (Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:28:14 -0700)
From: Will Leshner

On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 11:16 AM, Seth Willits wrote:

> The problem with CodeWarrior implementing a REALbasic-like autocomplete
> is
> the sheer number of functions and datatypes it would have to index. Not
> to
> mention, it would have to *know* all of them which I don't belive would
> be
> very easy (or maybe even possible). The Mac Toolbox used to have around
> 8000
> functions and I'm sure it's the same or grown with all the new
> technologies.
> Then people drop in tons of libraries, thousands and thousands of lines
> of
> code... that's a lot of functions.

BBEdit can do it and it. Well, it doesn't do autocompletion, but it gets
its syntax coloring right.

> That'd also be a very looooong list if you simply typed "A" then tab.

I would assume it wouldn't just do a linear search through the list. A
nice binary search, for example, would make any list of keywords a
pretty quick lookup.

Re: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 19:34 (Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:34:40 -0700)
From: Will Leshner
Oh wait. I misunderstood. You mean it would be a long list in the popup.
Duh. Sorry about that.

Actually, I think CW's autocompletion is like wine. It gets better with
age. It's working a bit better now. I think it probably waits to popup
until it has something useful to put in the list. It's still very much
in the way, though. RB's approach really stays out of the way nicely.

On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 11:28 AM, Will Leshner wrote:

>> That'd also be a very looooong list if you simply typed "A" then tab.
> I would assume it wouldn't just do a linear search through the list. A
> nice binary search, for example, would make any list of keywords a
> pretty quick lookup.

Re: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 19:19 (Fri, 09 Aug 2002 19:19:37 +0100)
From: Thomas Kaltschmidt
Sorry, i hate to say that, but "autocompletion" is a feature that was
already used in Microsoft VBA and VS6 in the year 1997.

Thomas

Am 09.08.2002 18:02 Uhr schrieb "Will Leshner" unter <<email address removed>>:

> Autocompletion is a new feature in CodeWarrior 8. I wonder if MW is
> feeling the heat from RB :) But CW's autocompletion just doesn't work
> correctly. RB's implementation is far more useful. I'm probably going to
> have to figure out how to turn CW's autocompletion off soon as it almost
> never makes the right suggestion but still pops up in my way.
> ---
> <mailto:<email address removed>>
> Unsubscribe:
> <mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 18:25 (Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:25:07 -0700)
From: Will Leshner
I'm not surprised. I might add that I love CW. I've used it for ten
years and I have enjoyed it immensely. But RB is just more fun.

On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 11:19 AM, Thomas Kaltschmidt wrote:

> Sorry, i hate to say that, but "autocompletion" is a feature that was
> already used in Microsoft VBA and VS6 in the year 1997.
> Thomas
> Am 09.08.2002 18:02 Uhr schrieb "Will Leshner" unter <<email address removed>>:
>> Autocompletion is a new feature in CodeWarrior 8. I wonder if MW is
>> feeling the heat from RB :) But CW's autocompletion just doesn't work
>> correctly. RB's implementation is far more useful. I'm probably going
>> to
>> have to figure out how to turn CW's autocompletion off soon as it
>> almost
>> never makes the right suggestion but still pops up in my way.

Re: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 18:40 (Fri, 9 Aug 2002 19:40:06 +0200)
From: Ian Mantripp
Thomas Kaltschmidt wrote:

>Sorry, i hate to say that, but "autocompletion" is a feature that was
>already used in Microsoft VBA and VS6 in the year 1997.

Nobody is claiming to have invented this feature, but Will was stating
that RB's implementation is superior to that of CodeWarrior. And I
totally agree with him.

Ian
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ian Mantripp - codeboy Telemak
Tel: +32 (0)2 475 3333 Streaming Media Technologies
Fax: +32 (0)2 476 1226 <http://www.telemak.com>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 21:37 (Fri, 09 Aug 2002 13:37:58 -0700)
From: Seth Willits
On 8/9/02 11:19 AM, the NSA intercepted the following message from "Thomas
Kaltschmidt" <<email address removed>>:

> Sorry, i hate to say that, but "autocompletion" is a feature that was
> already used in Microsoft VBA and VS6 in the year 1997.

And your point is....?

Seth Willits
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
President and Head Developer of Freak Software - http://www.freaksw.com
Q&A Columnist for REALbasic Developer Magazine - http://www.rbdeveloper.com

"Black holes are where God divided by zero."
-- Steven Wright
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 18:13 (Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:13:46 -0400 )
From: Stys, Peter
> Autocompletion in CW8 really? How did you turn it on (I never noticed it,
> using CW 8.1). I also find the eyedropper tool in RB wonderful (and
> frequently find myself pressing option in CW8 hoping to clone a word).
> Why on earth did RS change this function from requiring the option key to
> now needing option-shift is beyond me. Why press one key when you can
> press 2?

> To: REALbasic Group
> Subject: autocompletion in CW8
> Autocompletion is a new feature in CodeWarrior 8. I wonder if MW is
> feeling the heat from RB :) But CW's autocompletion just doesn't work
> correctly. RB's implementation is far more useful. I'm probably going to
> have to figure out how to turn CW's autocompletion off soon as it almost
> never makes the right suggestion but still pops up in my way.
> ---
> <mailto:<email address removed>>
> Unsubscribe:
> <mailto:<email address removed>>

RE: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 18:51 (Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:51:28 -0700)
At 1:13 PM -0400 8/9/02, Stys, Peter wrote:

> > I also find the eyedropper tool in RB wonderful (and
> > frequently find myself pressing option in CW8 hoping to clone a word).
>> Why on earth did RS change this function from requiring the option key to
>> now needing option-shift is beyond me. Why press one key when you can
>> press 2?

Because option-click is how most people start a copy-drag (even
though you really only need to hold option when releasing the mouse
button). That's a far more common standard, so it trumps the
copy-click functionality, which has no standard.

I don't like it either (I use copy-click a lot), but I don't see a
better alternative.

Cheers,

RE: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 19:30 (Fri, 9 Aug 2002 14:30:44 -0400 )
From: Stys, Peter
that's what I figured. how 'bout putting an option in the prefs so we can
revert back to the old way?

p.

> At 1:13 PM -0400 8/9/02, Stys, Peter wrote:
> > > I also find the eyedropper tool in RB wonderful (and
> > > frequently find myself pressing option in CW8 hoping to clone a
> word).
> >> Why on earth did RS change this function from requiring the option key
> to
> >> now needing option-shift is beyond me. Why press one key when you can
> >> press 2?
> Because option-click is how most people start a copy-drag (even
> though you really only need to hold option when releasing the mouse
> button). That's a far more common standard, so it trumps the
> copy-click functionality, which has no standard.
> I don't like it either (I use copy-click a lot), but I don't see a
> better alternative.
> Cheers,
> - Joe
> --
> ,------------------------------------------------------------------.
> | Joseph J. Strout REAL Software, Inc. |
> | <email address removed> http://www.realsoftware.com |
> `------------------------------------------------------------------'
> ---
> <mailto:<email address removed>>
> Unsubscribe:
> <mailto:<email address removed>>

RE: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 20:52 (Fri, 09 Aug 2002 14:52:20 -0500)
From: J S Flowers
What did I miss - there's an eyedropper tool in RB?

>> using CW 8.1). I also find the eyedropper tool in RB wonderful (and

Sue

Re: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 20:58 (Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:58:51 -0700)
From: Will Leshner
It's for when you've been coding a long time your eyes are bloodshot.

On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 12:52 PM, J S Flowers wrote:

> What did I miss - there's an eyedropper tool in RB?
>>> using CW 8.1). I also find the eyedropper tool in RB wonderful (and
> Sue

Re: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 09.08.02 21:04 (Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:04:03 -0700)
From: Will Leshner
Seriously, if you hold down option-shift your cursor turns into an
eyedropper. Now if you click on a symbol, it will be inserted at the
insertion point in the code editor.

On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 12:58 PM, Will Leshner wrote:

> It's for when you've been coding a long time your eyes are bloodshot.
> :)
> On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 12:52 PM, J S Flowers wrote:
>> What did I miss - there's an eyedropper tool in RB?
>>>> using CW 8.1). I also find the eyedropper tool in RB wonderful (and
>> Sue

Re: autocompletion in CW8
Date: 10.08.02 00:51 (Fri, 09 Aug 2002 18:51:16 -0500)
From: J S Flowers
oh, way too cool.....

> Subject: Re: autocompletion in CW8
> From: "Will Leshner" <<email address removed>>
> Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:04:03 -0700
> Seriously, if you hold down option-shift your cursor turns into an
> eyedropper. Now if you click on a symbol, it will be inserted at the
> insertion point in the code editor.