MBSOct2019CologneDE

iTools (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Previous thread: Re: REALdatabase, collected wisdom
Next thread: voice

When is CompareRows done?   -   Hadley, Joshua
  iTools   -   Carlo Rubini
   Re: iTools   -   Seth Willits
   Re: iTools   -   André Lessard <
   Re: iTools   -   Paul Goracke
    Re: iTools   -   Bruce Carter
     Re: iTools   -   André Lessard <
   Re: iTools   -   André Lessard <
    [OT] Apple help Viewer   -   Philip M. McDonnell

iTools
Date: 29.08.02 07:19 (Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:19:04 +0600)
From: Carlo Rubini
Hello,

sorry if this question of mine is not RB related, but... whereelse to ask?

I was thinking of making an iDisk and getting a Mac.com email address on
the assumption that evrything would have been free.

But a few days ago a friend of mine said that now Apple expects 100
dollars a month for these facilities.

Can anybody confirm such news?

And if such news is true, can anybody suggest me where may I make my
web-site for free?

thanks

carlo

<email address removed>

Re: iTools
Date: 29.08.02 07:25 (Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:25:33 -0700)
From: Seth Willits
On 8/28/02 11:19 PM, the NSA intercepted the following message from "Carlo
Rubini" <<email address removed>>:

> sorry if this question of mine is not RB related, but... whereelse to ask?
> I was thinking of making an iDisk and getting a Mac.com email address on
> the assumption that evrything would have been free.
> But a few days ago a friend of mine said that now Apple expects 100
> dollars a month for these facilities.
> Can anybody confirm such news?
> And if such news is true, can anybody suggest me where may I make my
> web-site for free?

Your friend is partially mistaken. It's $100 a year. It's called .Mac. Look
on apple's website.

Seth Willits
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
President and Head Developer of Freak Software - http://www.freaksw.com
Q&A Columnist for REALbasic Developer Magazine - http://www.rbdeveloper.com

"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kick boxing."
-- Someone
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: iTools
Date: 29.08.02 14:43 (Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:43:30 -0400)
From: André Lessard <
Yep, iTools is to become iTolls in september. And because of that, I will no
longer trust anything said by Steve Jobs anymore. I remember he once said,
with his arms up in the air, "iTools, FREE FOR LIFE!"... yeah... for the life
of what? I hate to see Apple being more and more Microsoftish.

Carlo Rubini wrote:

> Hello,
> sorry if this question of mine is not RB related, but... whereelse to ask?
> I was thinking of making an iDisk and getting a Mac.com email address on
> the assumption that evrything would have been free.
> But a few days ago a friend of mine said that now Apple expects 100
> dollars a month for these facilities.
> Can anybody confirm such news?

Re: iTools
Date: 29.08.02 17:34 (Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:34:43 -0700)
From: Paul Goracke
André Lessard wrote:

> Yep, iTools is to become iTolls in september. And because of that, I will no
> longer trust anything said by Steve Jobs anymore. I remember he once said,
> with his arms up in the air, "iTools, FREE FOR LIFE!"... yeah...

He was probably misquoted; it should read: "iTools, Free: For LIFE!"
Something along the lines of "You know...for kids."
<http://us.imdb.com/Title?0110074>

;^)

pg

Re: iTools
Date: 29.08.02 18:56 (Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:56:29 -0500)
From: Bruce Carter
Well, it was free for life. The life of iTools. iTools is dead, long live
.Mac... *heh*

I'm not renewing mine, either, but I did renew my wife's because about 3
million relatives have that email address for her, so I figure if anything
real exciting happens on .Mac she can tell me about it.

On 8/29/02 11:34 AM, "Paul Goracke" <<email address removed>> wrote:

> André Lessard wrote:
>> Yep, iTools is to become iTolls in september. And because of that, I will no
>> longer trust anything said by Steve Jobs anymore. I remember he once said,
>> with his arms up in the air, "iTools, FREE FOR LIFE!"... yeah...
> He was probably misquoted; it should read: "iTools, Free: For LIFE!"
> Something along the lines of "You know...for kids."
> <http://us.imdb.com/Title?0110074>
> ;^)
> pg
> ---
> <mailto:<email address removed>>
> Unsubscribe:
> <mailto:<email address removed>>

Re: iTools
Date: 30.08.02 06:11 (Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:11:49 -0400)
From: André Lessard <
Bruce Carter wrote:

> Well, it was free for life. The life of iTools. iTools is dead, long live
> .Mac... *heh*

Kinda like a "lifetime warranty" for any objects we buy! The warranty dies as the
object does. It's better than nothing since objects with time-limited warranty
tend to die very shortly after the warranty! ;-)

Well, I've still been able to use it for almost 2 years, not so bad for the price!
:-)

André Lessard
-----------------

- Did I hear a briefcase opening?
Mayor Joe D. Quimby

Re: iTools
Date: 30.08.02 06:39 (Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:39:26 -0400)
From: André Lessard <
Paul Goracke wrote:

> André Lessard wrote:
> > Yep, iTools is to become iTolls in september. And because of that, I will no
> > longer trust anything said by Steve Jobs anymore. I remember he once said,
> > with his arms up in the air, "iTools, FREE FOR LIFE!"... yeah...
> He was probably misquoted; it should read: "iTools, Free: For LIFE!"
> Something along the lines of "You know...for kids."
> <http://us.imdb.com/Title?0110074>

That was a great movie (The Hudsucker Proxy) but unfortunately, I haven't seen it
in its original english form. I may have missed that one, since I haven't made
the link. Interesting!

But I keep thinking Apple should have maintained a somewhat limited, but "free"
service, for those of us who live on peanut butter and Campbell soup, struggling
for money to stay faithful to the platform! ;-)

André Lessard
-----------------
- I have a bad feeling about this.
Han Solo