Xojo Conferences
MBSOct2019CologneDE

Windows Document Icon (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: Syntax Highlighting
Next thread: Resorcerer Problem Fixed, New Question


Re: Your general text to file problem form a tired user!   -   Jan Erik Moström <
  Windows Document Icon   -   Martin Fitzgibbons
   Re: Windows Document Icon   -   James Jacques
    Re: Windows Document Icon   -   Adam Ernst
     Re: Windows Document Icon   -   Martin Fitzgibbons
     Fixing the Windows XP icon for my application?   -   Ward Clark
   Re: Windows Document Icon   -   Christian Schmitz
   Re: Windows Document Icon   -   Keith DeLong

Windows Document Icon
Date: 13.08.03 23:57 (Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:57:47 +1000)
From: Martin Fitzgibbons
When I compile my app for Windows and then run the app, if I create a
document and save it, it just dispays a generic icon.

Is there a way to make it show an icon related to the app?

Martin

---
A searchable archive of this list is available at:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/search.php>

Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Re: Windows Document Icon
Date: 14.08.03 00:47 (Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:47:09 -0400)
From: James Jacques

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 06:57 PM, Martin Fitzgibbons wrote:

> When I compile my app for Windows and then run the app, if I create a
> document and save it, it just dispays a generic icon.
>
> Is there a way to make it show an icon related to the app?
>
> Martin
>
> ---
> A searchable archive of this list is available at:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/search.php>
> Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Yes,

Apparently in the Edit menu there is a window that allows you to change
file types and icons. Admittedly, I pasted in a custom icon and it
didn't show up, rather a BBedit text icon. So I'm rather stumped to,
luckily the people on this list are really helpful :)

Jim

---
A searchable archive of this list is available at:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/search.php>

Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Re: Windows Document Icon
Date: 14.08.03 00:55 (Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:55:06 -0500)
From: Adam Ernst
On Windows you need to create a .ico file from your icon (any icon
editor can do it from the images you have) and save it somewhere
(preferably C:\Program Files\). Then you need to update the registry
(via the RegistryItem class) to reflect where you stored the icon and
what the extension of your file type is. In general it's a mess, but
doable.

To see the registry (so you have an idea what to add to the it) press
Windows-R on a Windows machine, type REGEDIT, and hit enter.

Adam Ernst
cosmicsoft

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 06:47 PM, James Jacques wrote:

>
> On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 06:57 PM, Martin Fitzgibbons wrote:
>
>> When I compile my app for Windows and then run the app, if I create a
>> document and save it, it just dispays a generic icon.
>>
>> Is there a way to make it show an icon related to the app?
>>
>> Martin
>
> Yes,
>
> Apparently in the Edit menu there is a window that allows you to
> change file types and icons. Admittedly, I pasted in a custom icon and
> it didn't show up, rather a BBedit text icon. So I'm rather stumped
> to, luckily the people on this list are really helpful :)
>
> Jim

---
A searchable archive of this list is available at:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/search.php>

Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Re: Windows Document Icon
Date: 14.08.03 01:12 (Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:12:42 +1000)
From: Martin Fitzgibbons
So do you do it from within RB or from an installer like innosetup.

I have been trying from innosetup but no success with (not that I
really know what I am doing!)

[Registry]
Root: HKCR; SubKey: .cww; ValueType: STRING; ValueData: Find-A-Word
Wizard; Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; SubKey: Crossword Wizard; ValueType: STRING; ValueData:
"""Crossword Wizard File"""; Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; SubKey: Crossword Wizard\Shell; ValueType: NONE; Flags:
uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; SubKey: Crossword Wizard\Shell\Open; ValueType: NONE;
Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; SubKey: Crossword Wizard\Shell\Open\Command; ValueType:
STRING; ValueData: Crossword Wizard.exe %1; Flags: uninsdeletevalue

Martin

> On Windows you need to create a .ico file from your icon (any icon
> editor can do it from the images you have) and save it somewhere
> (preferably C:\Program Files\). Then you need to update the registry
> (via the RegistryItem class) to reflect where you stored the icon and
> what the extension of your file type is. In general it's a mess, but
> doable.
>
> To see the registry (so you have an idea what to add to the it) press
> Windows-R on a Windows machine, type REGEDIT, and hit enter.
>
> Adam Ernst
> cosmicsoft
>
> On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 06:47 PM, James Jacques wrote:
>
>>
>> On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 06:57 PM, Martin Fitzgibbons wrote:
>>
>>> When I compile my app for Windows and then run the app, if I create
>>> a document and save it, it just dispays a generic icon.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to make it show an icon related to the app?
>>>
>>> Martin
>>
>> Yes,
>>
>> Apparently in the Edit menu there is a window that allows you to
>> change file types and icons. Admittedly, I pasted in a custom icon
>> and it didn't show up, rather a BBedit text icon. So I'm rather
>> stumped to, luckily the people on this list are really helpful :)
>>
>> Jim
>
> ---
> A searchable archive of this list is available at:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/search.php>
> Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

---
A searchable archive of this list is available at:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/search.php>

Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Re: Windows Document Icon
Date: 14.08.03 02:12 (Thu, 14 Aug 2003 03:12:39 +0200)
From: Christian Schmitz
Martin Fitzgibbons <<email address removed>> wrote:

> When I compile my app for Windows and then run the app, if I create a
> document and save it, it just dispays a generic icon.
>
> Is there a way to make it show an icon related to the app?

Check the "Register Windows FileType" example from the MBS Plugin...

Mfg
Christian

Re: Windows Document Icon
Date: 14.08.03 17:42 (Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:42:54 -0700)
From: Keith DeLong
> So do you do it from within RB or from an installer like innosetup.
>
> I have been trying from innosetup but no success with (not that I
> really know what I am doing!)

There's several free .ico icon file creators out there on the Windows side.
I used Graphic converter on a Mac to create my .ico files from those I
pasted into RB for my Mac app.

I've used innosetup (free) for about a year. It works great for creating the
registry entries for your doc icons when you install your Windows App.

Here's my registry entry in the innosetup script:

[Registry]
Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".vtc"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData:
"VTCProData"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue

Root: HKCR; Subkey: "VTCProData"; ValueType: string; ValueName: "";
ValueData: "VTC File"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue

Root: HKCR; Subkey: "VTCProData\DefaultIcon"; ValueType: string; ValueName:
""; ValueData: "{app}\Icons\DocIcon.ico,0"

Root: HKCR; Subkey: "VTCProData\shell\open\command"; ValueType: string;
ValueName: ""; ValueData: """{app}\Virtual TimeClock Pro.exe"" ""%1"""

.vtc is my data extension
DocIcon.ico is the name of my icon file.

I found an install script that worked and studied/modified it for my use.
I'm happy to forward my entire innosetup script to anyone who wants it for
reference and learning. Please contact me off-list.

Once you read the Docs and get used to using innosetup, it's pretty straight
forward. It's easy to learn and experiment as I continually
edit/install/evaluate/uninstall until I get the desired results for my
installed Windows App.

Best,

Keith DeLong

---
A searchable archive of this list is available at:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/search.php>

Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>