MBSSep2018MunichDE

How to move and resize a container control on a Window ? (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Previous thread: Container control index property
Next thread: [ANN] FMOD Ex Audio Classes v0.1b

Win32 API Declares   -   Berg, Heath
   Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?   -   Terry Ford
   Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?   -   Björn Eiríksson <b
   Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?   -   Charles Yeomans
   Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?   -   Terry Ford
   Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?   -   Terry Ford
   Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?   -   Garrett Kalleberg
   Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?   -   Terry Ford
   Re: Great Job on RB2005 Candidate 2!   -   Yves Vindevogel

How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
Date: 01.08.05 21:55 (Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:55:02 +0000)
From: Björn Eiríksson <b
How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?

Does anyone know ? Is it perhaps not possible ?

Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
Date: 01.08.05 22:10 (Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:10:51 -0700)
From: Terry Ford

On 1-Aug-05, at 1:55 PM, Björn Eiríksson wrote:

> How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
> Does anyone know ? Is it perhaps not possible ?

I could try. So could you.

Let us know how your tests work.

BTW, are you a Betas tester? Lots of things have changed for release
2. :)

Terry

Search the archives of this list here:

Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
Date: 01.08.05 22:16 (Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:16:40 +0000)
From: Björn Eiríksson <b

On 1.8.2005, at 21:10, Terry Ford wrote:

> On 1-Aug-05, at 1:55 PM, Björn Eiríksson wrote:
>> How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
>> Does anyone know ? Is it perhaps not possible ?
> I could try. So could you.
> Let us know how your tests work.

I could try what exactly ?

> BTW, are you a Betas tester? Lots of things have changed for
> release 2. :)

Yes of course I am a beta tester.

Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
Date: 01.08.05 22:17 (Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:17:24 -0400)
From: Charles Yeomans

On Aug 1, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Björn Eiríksson wrote:

> How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
> Does anyone know ? Is it perhaps not possible ?

I expect that assigning to its Top and Left properties should move it.

--------------
Charles Yeomans

Search the archives of this list here:

Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
Date: 01.08.05 22:23 (Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:23:41 +0000)
From: Björn Eiríksson <b

On 1.8.2005, at 21:17, Charles Yeomans wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Björn Eiríksson wrote:
>> How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
>> Does anyone know ? Is it perhaps not possible ?
> I expect that assigning to its Top and Left properties should move it.

Thats just it, a instance of ContainerControl on a Window does not
have Left and Top properties.

Another mater about it:

I created a function that Takes ContainerControl as parameter, I did
ctrl as Window (since a container control inherits from a Window).
All good so far.....but once its on a Window the the instance gives a
cast exception.

So the question here is, when the control is on Window, then what
exactly is it ? It seems to be neither a control nor a Window.

Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
Date: 01.08.05 22:30 (Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:30:02 -0700)
From: Terry Ford

On 1-Aug-05, at 2:16 PM, Björn Eiríksson wrote:

> On 1.8.2005, at 21:10, Terry Ford wrote:
>> On 1-Aug-05, at 1:55 PM, Björn Eiríksson wrote:
>>> How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
>>>
>>> Does anyone know ? Is it perhaps not possible ?
>>>
>>>
>> I could try. So could you.
>> Let us know how your tests work.
> I could try what exactly ?

Moving and resizing a ContainerControl in code as you asked. I have
done it when I created it in code as is required in r1. :)

>> BTW, are you a Betas tester? Lots of things have changed for
>> release 2. :)
> Yes of course I am a beta tester.

I don't have any messages from you in my Betas Digest but I have one
referral though. Can't go further as this is not the correct list for
non-released versions.

Terry

Search the archives of this list here:

Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
Date: 01.08.05 22:34 (Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:34:56 -0700)
From: Terry Ford

On 1-Aug-05, at 2:23 PM, Björn Eiríksson wrote:

> On 1.8.2005, at 21:17, Charles Yeomans wrote:
>> On Aug 1, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Björn Eiríksson wrote:
>>> How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
>>>
>>> Does anyone know ? Is it perhaps not possible ?
>>>
>>>
>> I expect that assigning to its Top and Left properties should move
>> it.
> Thats just it, a instance of ContainerControl on a Window does not
> have Left and Top properties.

Oh but it does if you create it in code with "EmbedWithin". It's all
in the LR.

> Another mater about it:
> I created a function that Takes ContainerControl as parameter, I
> did ctrl as Window (since a container control inherits from a
> Window). All good so far.....but once its on a Window the the
> instance gives a cast exception.
> So the question here is, when the control is on Window, then what
> exactly is it ? It seems to be neither a control nor a Window.

That's the confusing part. It seems to exhibit properties of both.
There is lots of confusion in this area that will hopefully be
eventually clarified. :)

Terry

Search the archives of this list here:

Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
Date: 01.08.05 22:41 (Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:41:01 +0000)
From: Björn Eiríksson <b

On 1.8.2005, at 21:34, Terry Ford wrote:

> Oh but it does if you create it in code with "EmbedWithin". It's
> all in the LR.

I'm afraid I cant use those that are created from code in this case.

Just need a generic way to talk with the beast. (Am a plugin
developer, not a RB developer, so I am not actually using the
control, just trying to talk with it so I can improve some plugins)

Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
Date: 01.08.05 22:43 (Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:43:07 -0400)
From: Garrett Kalleberg
I'd instantiate the ContainerControl in code (and store a reference,
if needed), then set the properties of the instantiated object. You
have to set pos by way of the EmbedWithin method. Works fine for me.

dim aTestCControl as new TestCControl
aTestCControl.Width = me.Width - 100 // or whatever
aTestCControl.Height = me.Height - 100 // or whatever
//Then set pos here:
aTestCControl.EmbedWithin(me, 50, 50)

alternately set Height and Width by passing values in EmbedWithin:

aTestCControl.EmbedWithin(me, 50, 50, me.Width - 100, me.Height - 100)

I say it works fine, but it works only until you start embedding
ContainerControls within ContainerControls. Then there is some sort
of shifting that happens - the idea of pos, which is supposed to be
relative to the containing Control, becomes screwed up. I spent hours
on that this weekend.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Garrett Kalleberg

Metadada Experimental

mailto:<email address removed>

On Aug 1, 2005, at 5:23 PM, Björn Eiríksson wrote:

> On 1.8.2005, at 21:17, Charles Yeomans wrote:
>> On Aug 1, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Björn Eiríksson wrote:
>>> How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
>>>
>>> Does anyone know ? Is it perhaps not possible ?
>>>
>>>
>> I expect that assigning to its Top and Left properties should move
>> it.
> Thats just it, a instance of ContainerControl on a Window does not
> have Left and Top properties.
> Another mater about it:
> I created a function that Takes ContainerControl as parameter, I
> did ctrl as Window (since a container control inherits from a
> Window). All good so far.....but once its on a Window the the
> instance gives a cast exception.
> So the question here is, when the control is on Window, then what
> exactly is it ? It seems to be neither a control nor a Window.
> --
> ______________________________________________________________________
> Björn Eiríksson <email address removed>
> Einhugur Software
> http://www.einhugur.com/
> ______________________________________________________________________
> Einhugur Software has sold its products in 48 countries world wide.
> ______________________________________________________________________
> For support: <email address removed>
> To post on the maillist: <email address removed>
> _______________________________________________
> Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
> <http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>
> Search the archives of this list here:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Search the archives of this list here:

Re: How to move and resize a container control on a Window ?
Date: 01.08.05 23:01 (Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:01:52 -0700)
From: Terry Ford

On 1-Aug-05, at 2:41 PM, Björn Eiríksson wrote:

> On 1.8.2005, at 21:34, Terry Ford wrote:
>> Oh but it does if you create it in code with "EmbedWithin". It's
>> all in the LR.
> I'm afraid I cant use those that are created from code in this case.
> Just need a generic way to talk with the beast. (Am a plugin
> developer, not a RB developer, so I am not actually using the
> control, just trying to talk with it so I can improve some plugins)

There are gray areas in ContainerControl and I can see your dilemma.

Best to move this to the Betas list as, IMHO, it's a better forum for
future discussion about current changes. It's also been spoken about
a lot there recently.