Xojo Developer Conference
25/27th April 2018 in Denver.
MBS Xojo Conference
6/7th September 2018 in Munich, Germany.

How to do OSX style row of buttons (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: 2005 Hierarchical ListBox Expand vs. Select
Next thread: open-source RB builder


Win32 API Declares   -   Berg, Heath
  How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Paul Howson
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Terry Ford
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Charles Yeomans
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Phil M
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Phil M
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Adam Ernst
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Seth Willits
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Tom Benson
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Eric M.Williams
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Terry Ford
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Adam Ernst
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Corey Redlien
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Troy Rollins
   Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons   -   Greg

How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 18.08.05 20:14 (Fri, 19 Aug 2005 05:14:13 +1000)
From: Paul Howson
I don't know what they're officially called -- those rows of semi-
transparent connected buttons that behave like radio buttons (one
only pressed at a time) but look like the tabs on the top of a tabpanel.

An example is the row of three little buttons with icons that control
the scope of methods in RB2005. Obviously they're a Cocoa control.
But can they be accessed from RB?

Paul Howson

----------------------------------------------------------------
The Design Group Qld, Warwick Qld Australia
web: www.tdgq.com.au email: <email address removed>

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 18.08.05 20:38 (Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:38:16 -0700)
From: Terry Ford

On 18-Aug-05, at 12:14 PM, Paul Howson wrote:

> I don't know what they're officially called -- those rows of semi-
> transparent connected buttons that behave like radio buttons (one
> only pressed at a time) but look like the tabs on the top of a
> tabpanel.
>
> An example is the row of three little buttons with icons that
> control the scope of methods in RB2005. Obviously they're a Cocoa
> control. But can they be accessed from RB?

I can't remember their exact name but they are/were Cocoa controls.
Now that RS is using them, they might be offered later.

To make sure, file a Feature Request.

Terry

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 18.08.05 20:59 (Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:59:48 -0400)
From: Charles Yeomans

On Aug 18, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Paul Howson wrote:

> I don't know what they're officially called -- those rows of
> semi-transparent connected buttons that behave like radio buttons (one
> only pressed at a time) but look like the tabs on the top of a
> tabpanel.
>
> An example is the row of three little buttons with icons that control
> the scope of methods in RB2005. Obviously they're a Cocoa control. But
> can they be accessed from RB?

It's called a "Segmented Control", and it's available in Carbon as
well. It looks one could draw such a beast in a Canvas in MacOS 10.4.
In 10.3 I expect that you could write a lot of code to add an actual
MacOS control to the window. Obviously the Rb 2005 IDE is doing it
somehow.

--------------
Charles Yeomans

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 18.08.05 21:00 (Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:00:53 +0200)
From: Phil M
On Aug 18, 2005, at 9:38 PM, Terry Ford wrote:

>> I don't know what they're officially called -- those rows of
>> semi-transparent connected buttons that behave like radio buttons
>> (one only pressed at a time) but look like the tabs on the top of a
>> tabpanel.
>>
>> An example is the row of three little buttons with icons that control
>> the scope of methods in RB2005. Obviously they're a Cocoa control.
>> But can they be accessed from RB?
>
> I can't remember their exact name but they are/were Cocoa controls.
> Now that RS is using them, they might be offered later.
>
> To make sure, file a Feature Request.

From Aaron's blog I got the impression that they were drawn. In fact
that was one of Aaron's biggest complaints about the Windows IDE (look
at item #5):

http://ramblings.aaronballman.com/?p92

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 18.08.05 21:05 (Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:05:43 +0200)
From: Phil M
On Aug 18, 2005, at 10:00 PM, Phil M wrote:

>>> I don't know what they're officially called -- those rows of
>>> semi-transparent connected buttons that behave like radio buttons
>>> (one only pressed at a time) but look like the tabs on the top of a
>>> tabpanel.
>>>
>>> An example is the row of three little buttons with icons that
>>> control the scope of methods in RB2005. Obviously they're a Cocoa
>>> control. But can they be accessed from RB?
>>
>> I can't remember their exact name but they are/were Cocoa controls.
>> Now that RS is using them, they might be offered later.
>>
>> To make sure, file a Feature Request.
>
> From Aaron's blog I got the impression that they were drawn. In fact
> that was one of Aaron's biggest complaints about the Windows IDE (look
> at item #5):
>
> http://ramblings.aaronballman.com/?p92

Ah... here it is:

http://ramblings.aaronballman.com/?p10

And Aaron calls them mode switchers, and the best part is that he even
demonstrates how you can create your own.

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 18.08.05 21:43 (Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:43:43 -0500)
From: Adam Ernst
On Aug 18, 2005, at 2:59 PM, Charles Yeomans wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Paul Howson wrote:
>
>> I don't know what they're officially called -- those rows of semi-
>> transparent connected buttons that behave like radio buttons (one
>> only pressed at a time) but look like the tabs on the top of a
>> tabpanel.
>>
>> An example is the row of three little buttons with icons that
>> control the scope of methods in RB2005. Obviously they're a Cocoa
>> control. But can they be accessed from RB?
>
> It's called a "Segmented Control", and it's available in Carbon as
> well. It looks one could draw such a beast in a Canvas in MacOS
> 10.4. In 10.3 I expect that you could write a lot of code to add
> an actual MacOS control to the window. Obviously the Rb 2005 IDE
> is doing it somehow.

They're fake.

Adam
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 18.08.05 22:12 (Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:12:02 -0700)
From: Seth Willits
On Aug 18, 2005, at 12:14 PM, Paul Howson wrote:

> I don't know what they're officially called -- those rows of semi-
> transparent connected buttons that behave like radio buttons (one
> only pressed at a time) but look like the tabs on the top of a
> tabpanel.

That's a segmented view. I have a plugin that implements them but I
don't know how done it is.


Seth Willits
----------------------------------------------------------
Freak Software - http://www.freaksw.com/
ResExcellence - http://www.resexcellence.com/realbasic/
----------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 18.08.05 23:46 (Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:46:24 +1000)
From: Tom Benson
Would you mind sharing the name of that plugin Seth?? Can't find it
on your site.

I've been drawing them myself to date, but would rather use a native
control...

Cheers,
Tom
________________________________________________________

God is REAL, unless explicitly declared INTEGER.



On 19/08/2005, at 7:12 AM, Seth Willits wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2005, at 12:14 PM, Paul Howson wrote:
>
>> I don't know what they're officially called -- those rows of semi-
>> transparent connected buttons that behave like radio buttons (one
>> only pressed at a time) but look like the tabs on the top of a
>> tabpanel.
>>
> That's a segmented view. I have a plugin that implements them but I
> don't know how done it is.
>
> Seth Willits
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> Freak Software - http://www.freaksw.com/
> ResExcellence - http://www.resexcellence.com/realbasic/
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
> <http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>
> Search the archives of this list here:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 21.08.05 21:26 (Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:26:40 -0700)
From: Eric M.Williams
>> It's called a "Segmented Control", and it's available in Carbon as
>> well. It looks one could draw such a beast in a Canvas in MacOS
>> 10.4. In 10.3 I expect that you could write a lot of code to add an
>> actual MacOS control to the window. Obviously the Rb 2005 IDE is
>> doing it somehow.
>
> They're fake.

But still spectacular.

Eric M. Williams
Oxalyn Software
http://software.oxalyn.com/

AE Monitor
http://software.oxalyn.com/AEMonitor/

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 21.08.05 21:32 (Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:32:56 -0700)
From: Terry Ford

On 21-Aug-05, at 1:26 PM, Eric M.Williams wrote:

>>> It's called a "Segmented Control", and it's available in Carbon
>>> as well. It looks one could draw such a beast in a Canvas in
>>> MacOS 10.4. In 10.3 I expect that you could write a lot of code
>>> to add an actual MacOS control to the window. Obviously the Rb
>>> 2005 IDE is doing it somehow.
>>
>> They're fake.
>
> But still spectacular.

And they are now Carbon for 10.4.x so RS could use them if they
ignored everyone with 10.3.x. :)

I think that's why they are fake now.

Terry

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 21.08.05 22:10 (Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:10:35 -0500)
From: Adam Ernst
On Aug 21, 2005, at 3:32 PM, Terry Ford wrote:

>>>> It's called a "Segmented Control", and it's available in Carbon
>>>> as well. It looks one could draw such a beast in a Canvas in
>>>> MacOS 10.4. In 10.3 I expect that you could write a lot of
>>>> code to add an actual MacOS control to the window. Obviously
>>>> the Rb 2005 IDE is doing it somehow.
>>>>
>>>
>>> They're fake.
>>>
>> But still spectacular.
>>
> And they are now Carbon for 10.4.x so RS could use them if they
> ignored everyone with 10.3.x. :)
>
> I think that's why they are fake now.

I'm not so sure. Quite a few things in the REALbasic interface are
"fake": the toolbars, the checkboxes in listboxes, and strictly
speaking even the listboxes and code editor since they are custom
drawn. None of those require 10.3; native toolbars could be supported
on 10.2.

I'm not against all these custom-drawn controls-- I've been informed
that they're the only way to achieve auto-indentation and
autocomplete in the code editor, for example. But the quirky,
glitchy, ugly toolbar should really be native on Mac OS X. Right now
it's just too jarring for my taste.

Here's to extending the built-in toolbar class with Windows and Linux
support, and EditField embedding!

Adam Ernst
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 21.08.05 22:53 (Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:53:51 -0400)
From: Corey Redlien
>>
>> They're fake.
>>
> But still spectacular.

If this comment had anything to do with Seinfeld, then I think it's
just freakin' hilarious... I've been chuckling about this one for a
while now.

Sorry, couldn't resist going OT for this one...
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 22.08.05 00:14 (Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:14:29 -0400)
From: Troy Rollins

On Aug 21, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Corey Redlien wrote:

> If this comment had anything to do with Seinfeld, then I think it's
> just freakin' hilarious... I've been chuckling about this one for a
> while now.

I was trying to remember the source of that reference. ;-D

Re: How to do OSX style row of buttons
Date: 31.08.05 14:38 (Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:38:07 -0400)
From: Greg

On Aug 18, 2005, at 6:46 pm, Tom Benson wrote:

>
> On 19/08/2005, at 7:12 AM, Seth Willits wrote:
>
>> On Aug 18, 2005, at 12:14 PM, Paul Howson wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know what they're officially called -- those rows of semi-
>>> transparent connected buttons that behave like radio buttons (one
>>> only pressed at a time) but look like the tabs on the top of a
>>> tabpanel.
>>>
>>>
>> That's a segmented view. I have a plugin that implements them but
>> I don't know how done it is.
>>
>> Seth Willits
>
> Would you mind sharing the name of that plugin Seth?? Can't find it
> on your site.
>
> I've been drawing them myself to date, but would rather use a
> native control...
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

Tom,

How would you expect these to appear on Windows or Linux? We have a
class that we've been using, we faked it, but have the opportunity to
offer windows & linux versions. I know it's not necessarily kosher to
"create" a control like this just for cross-platform compatibility,
but I expect it will work (actually, it was designed to allow
multiple designs so we could apply a skin if necessary) If you're
interested, contact me off list.

Greg O'Lone, President
Stretched Out Software Inc
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>