RB3D and Linux (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Previous thread: E-mal attachments with resource forks
Next thread: Re: MoviePlayer or Movie bug? MBS to the rescue?

FW: Special Valentine's Offer for Valentina - Beat the Price Increase!   -   Lynn Fredricks
  RB3D and Linux   -   Bryan Lund
   Re: RB3D and Linux   -   David Grogono
    Re: RB3D and Linux   -   Bryan Lund
     Re: RB3D and Linux   -   Bryan Lund
   Re: RB3D and Linux   -   David Grogono
    Re: RB3D and Linux   -   Bryan Lund
   Re: RB3D and Linux   -   William Yu
    Re: RB3D and Linux   -   Bryan Lund
     Re: RB3D and Linux   -   Bryan Lund

RB3D and Linux
Date: 28.11.07 20:00 (Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:00:33 -0800)
From: Bryan Lund
Is RB3D no longer supported on Linux as of 2007r5? I get a 'Plugin
"plugin:RB3D.rbx:0" is not supported for Linux' error when trying to
compile a fresh project with an RB3DSpace instance on a window.

This worked just fine (well... relatively) on 2007r4.

(Sorry if this has been discussed already, I couldn't find any mention
of this feature being dropped.)

-Bryan

Search the archives:

Re: RB3D and Linux
Date: 28.11.07 22:54 (Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:54:36 -0600)
From: David Grogono
On Nov 28, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Bryan Lund wrote:

> Is RB3D no longer supported on Linux as of 2007r5? I get a 'Plugin
> "plugin:RB3D.rbx:0" is not supported for Linux' error when trying to
> compile a fresh project with an RB3DSpace instance on a window.
> This worked just fine (well... relatively) on 2007r4.
> (Sorry if this has been discussed already, I couldn't find any mention
> of this feature being dropped.)

Hi Bryan -

I just double-checked with one of my 3D apps. I used the 2007r5 IDE
on OS X 10.4. The compiled app ran without problems on Ubuntu 7.04.

- David

Re: RB3D and Linux
Date: 28.11.07 22:56 (Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:56:46 -0800)
From: Bryan Lund
David Grogono wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Bryan Lund wrote:
>> Is RB3D no longer supported on Linux as of 2007r5? I get a 'Plugin
>> "plugin:RB3D.rbx:0" is not supported for Linux' error when trying to
>> compile a fresh project with an RB3DSpace instance on a window.
>> This worked just fine (well... relatively) on 2007r4.
>> (Sorry if this has been discussed already, I couldn't find any mention
>> of this feature being dropped.)
> Hi Bryan -
> I just double-checked with one of my 3D apps. I used the 2007r5 IDE
> on OS X 10.4. The compiled app ran without problems on Ubuntu 7.04.

Hey, thanks David. Any luck, by chance, with starting a new project and
dragging an rb3d instance to a window?

-Bryan

Search the archives:

Re: RB3D and Linux
Date: 28.11.07 23:03 (Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:03:15 -0800)
From: Bryan Lund
Bryan Lund wrote:
> David Grogono wrote:
>> On Nov 28, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Bryan Lund wrote:
>>> Is RB3D no longer supported on Linux as of 2007r5? I get a 'Plugin
>>> "plugin:RB3D.rbx:0" is not supported for Linux' error when trying to
>>> compile a fresh project with an RB3DSpace instance on a window.
>> I just double-checked with one of my 3D apps. I used the 2007r5 IDE
>> on OS X 10.4. The compiled app ran without problems on Ubuntu 7.04.
> Hey, thanks David. Any luck, by chance, with starting a new project and
> dragging an rb3d instance to a window?

Just as a follow up:

Tried under Ubuntu 7.10 and Fedora 8. In both cases 2007r4 is able to
compile existing (and new) projects with rb3dspace controls in them.

But, in both cases, 2007r5 states that the rb3d plugin is not supported
"in Linux" (again, for both existing and new projects... including the
3d example projects I tried that ship with RB).

This is compiling with the Linux version of the IDE.

-Bryan

Search the archives:

Re: RB3D and Linux
Date: 28.11.07 23:25 (Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:25:42 -0600)
From: David Grogono
On Nov 28, 2007, at 4:03 PM, Bryan Lund wrote:

> Bryan Lund wrote:
>> David Grogono wrote:
>>> On Nov 28, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Bryan Lund wrote:
>>>
>>>> Is RB3D no longer supported on Linux as of 2007r5? I get a 'Plugin
>>>> "plugin:RB3D.rbx:0" is not supported for Linux' error when
>>>> trying to
>>>> compile a fresh project with an RB3DSpace instance on a window.
>>>
>>> I just double-checked with one of my 3D apps. I used the 2007r5 IDE
>>> on OS X 10.4. The compiled app ran without problems on Ubuntu 7.04.
>> Hey, thanks David. Any luck, by chance, with starting a new
>> project and
>> dragging an rb3d instance to a window?
> Just as a follow up:
> Tried under Ubuntu 7.10 and Fedora 8. In both cases 2007r4 is able to
> compile existing (and new) projects with rb3dspace controls in them.
> But, in both cases, 2007r5 states that the rb3d plugin is not
> supported
> "in Linux" (again, for both existing and new projects... including the
> 3d example projects I tried that ship with RB).
> This is compiling with the Linux version of the IDE.

I just tried a simple project with an RB3DSpace (no code) using the
2007r5 IDE on Ubuntu 7.04 and it worked for me.

Any chance you had left the 2007r4 IDE running when trying the 2007r5
IDE? If so, it's possible that the IDE might try and use the 2007r4
plugin which is likely incompatible with 2007r5. Hold on..., I just
tried this and can see the same error you reported. (you can also
notice the problem before compiling since the RB3DSpace has a generic
class icon when dragged to a window)

Since you use the Linux IDE, you should file a request to have the
Linux IDE handle internal plugins in such a way that there isn't a
conflict between different versions of the IDE.

- David

Re: RB3D and Linux
Date: 29.11.07 00:36 (Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:36:19 -0800)
From: Bryan Lund
David Grogono wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007, at 4:03 PM, Bryan Lund wrote:
>> Bryan Lund wrote:
>>> David Grogono wrote:
>>>> On Nov 28, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Bryan Lund wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Is RB3D no longer supported on Linux as of 2007r5? I get a 'Plugin
>>>>> "plugin:RB3D.rbx:0" is not supported for Linux' error when
>>>>> trying to
>>>>> compile a fresh project with an RB3DSpace instance on a window.
>>>> I just double-checked with one of my 3D apps. I used the 2007r5 IDE
>>>> on OS X 10.4. The compiled app ran without problems on Ubuntu 7.04.
>>> Hey, thanks David. Any luck, by chance, with starting a new
>>> project and
>>> dragging an rb3d instance to a window?
>> Just as a follow up:
>> Tried under Ubuntu 7.10 and Fedora 8. In both cases 2007r4 is able to
>> compile existing (and new) projects with rb3dspace controls in them.
>> But, in both cases, 2007r5 states that the rb3d plugin is not
>> supported
>> "in Linux" (again, for both existing and new projects... including the
>> 3d example projects I tried that ship with RB).
>> This is compiling with the Linux version of the IDE.
> I just tried a simple project with an RB3DSpace (no code) using the
> 2007r5 IDE on Ubuntu 7.04 and it worked for me.
> Any chance you had left the 2007r4 IDE running when trying the 2007r5
> IDE? If so, it's possible that the IDE might try and use the 2007r4
> plugin which is likely incompatible with 2007r5. Hold on..., I just
> tried this and can see the same error you reported. (you can also
> notice the problem before compiling since the RB3DSpace has a generic
> class icon when dragged to a window)
> Since you use the Linux IDE, you should file a request to have the
> Linux IDE handle internal plugins in such a way that there isn't a
> conflict between different versions of the IDE.

Thanks David for the help. Here is the request:

Also note that this happens for me with R5 (and the newest beta) even
after a reboot before any other applications have run.

-Bryan

Search the archives:

Re: RB3D and Linux
Date: 29.11.07 16:09 (Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:09:04 -0600)
From: William Yu
We have not dropped support for that feature on Linux so something is
buggy. Which IDE are you using? I've tried all three and I don't
get that error. If this problem persists, then please file a bug
report with some relevant info, like what platform you're running on,
and are you using pro or standard, etc.

Re: RB3D and Linux
Date: 29.11.07 18:39 (Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:39:47 -0800)
From: Bryan Lund
William Yu wrote:
> We have not dropped support for that feature on Linux so something is
> buggy. Which IDE are you using? I've tried all three and I don't
> get that error. If this problem persists, then please file a bug
> report with some relevant info, like what platform you're running on,
> and are you using pro or standard, etc.

But opened:

And it was quickly resolved as "Not a bug" with no additional
information added to the feedback report.

I also received an email regarding this bug which read:

"The bug you reported is not actually a bug. It is either behaving as it
was designed to behave, or it is a behavior of the operating system.
Please check the bug report for more information.

If you would like to see the behavior change, please submit a feature
request."

I've added some additional information to the bug and requested that it
be re-opened.

-Bryan

Search the archives:

Re: RB3D and Linux
Date: 30.11.07 18:54 (Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:54:20 -0800)
From: Bryan Lund
Bryan Lund wrote:
> William Yu wrote:
>> We have not dropped support for that feature on Linux so something is
>> buggy. Which IDE are you using? I've tried all three and I don't
>> get that error. If this problem persists, then please file a bug
>> report with some relevant info, like what platform you're running on,
>> and are you using pro or standard, etc.
> But opened:
> http://www.realsoftware.com/feedback/viewreport.php?reportid=zwgxqpqk
> And it was quickly resolved as "Not a bug" with no additional
> information added to the feedback report.
> I also received an email regarding this bug which read:
> "The bug you reported is not actually a bug. It is either behaving as it
> was designed to behave, or it is a behavior of the operating system.
> Please check the bug report for more information.
> If you would like to see the behavior change, please submit a feature
> request."
> I've added some additional information to the bug and requested that it
> be re-opened.

Dagnabbit. Just got an email saying that the bug couldn't be repro-d
now. I can repro it reliably every time. On multiple machines running
a clean install of 7.10.

In fact I have yet to be able to use r5 (or the latest beta) to compile
any RB3D-using project under the Linux version of the IDE on Ubuntu
7.10. (tried on multiple machines, all but one are clean installs.)

I know others have reprod this. If anyone else sees (or doesn't see
this) with the Linux IDE, feel free to chime in.

-Bryan