Xojo Developer Conference
25/27th April 2018 in Denver.
MBS Xojo Conference
6/7th September 2018 in Munich, Germany.

SelectColor Function (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: Off Window Text Area
Next thread: Property changing problems.


Getting ListBox Cell Left and Top   -   Rubber Chicken Software Co.
  SelectColor Function   -   Louis G5 Batayte
   Re: SelectColor Function   -   Terry Ford
   Re: SelectColor Function   -   tacitr aol.com
   Re: SelectColor Function   -   Louis G5 Batayte
   Re: SelectColor Function   -   Christian Schmitz
   Re: SelectColor Function   -   Louis G5 Batayte
   Re: SelectColor Function   -   Christian Schmitz

SelectColor Function
Date: 09.08.09 05:51 (Sun, 9 Aug 2009 00:51:34 -0400)
From: Louis G5 Batayte
I used the RB function SelectColor. I have noticed on different Macs
of mine, I get different versions of the picker control. On my Quad G5
running OSX10.5.7, I get a picker with 6 icon controls. The right most
icon is a spider web where you can select web safe colors. I get this
same picker on an old G4 iBook running OSX10.4.11. On my wife's
MacBook Pro dual Core Intel running OSX10.5.7 I get a picker with only
the first 5 icons, i.e. the spider web, web safe icon is missing. Also
on an old G3 iBook OSX10.3.9 I get the Picker with 5 icons. Anyone
have any clues why, in particular, why my wife's Intel OSX10.5.7 is
missing the spider icon?

Lou

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: SelectColor Function
Date: 09.08.09 22:08 (Sun, 9 Aug 2009 14:08:37 -0700)
From: Terry Ford

On Aug 9, 2009, at 1:40 PM, <email address removed> wrote:

>
> On Aug 9, 2009, at 7:41 AM, Louis G5 Batayte wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply, but I still don't understand. I thought Mac
>> OS provides the color picker. For example see:
>> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story 060408050920158
>
> Mac OS X does provide a color picker, which third party developers
> can write add-ons and plugins for.
>
> Today, the Web-safe picker is utterly irrelevant. The Web-safe
> palette only matters for computers that can only display 8-bit
> color. It is the intersection of the system palette for Windows
> computers set to 8-bit color and Mac computers set to 8-bit color.
> Since no home computer has been manufactured for many years that can
> only display 256 colors, the Web-safe color palette is today as
> irrelevant as punch cards.

It's still handy to find the nearest Rb '&c' hexadecimal value as it
cannot handle RGB with more than 2 Bytes per color.

Terry

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: SelectColor Function
Date: 09.08.09 21:40 (Sun, 9 Aug 2009 13:40:00 -0700)
From: tacitr aol.com

On Aug 9, 2009, at 7:41 AM, Louis G5 Batayte wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, but I still don't understand. I thought Mac OS
> provides the color picker. For example see:
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story 060408050920158

Mac OS X does provide a color picker, which third party developers can
write add-ons and plugins for.

Today, the Web-safe picker is utterly irrelevant. The Web-safe palette
only matters for computers that can only display 8-bit color. It is
the intersection of the system palette for Windows computers set to 8-
bit color and Mac computers set to 8-bit color. Since no home computer
has been manufactured for many years that can only display 256 colors,
the Web-safe color palette is today as irrelevant as punch cards.

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: SelectColor Function
Date: 09.08.09 20:00 (Sun, 9 Aug 2009 15:00:11 -0400)
From: Louis G5 Batayte

On Aug 9, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Christian Schmitz wrote:

>
> Am 09.08.2009 um 16:41 schrieb Louis G5 Batayte:
>
>>
>> So I thought RB was simply linking to the Mac OS color picker.
>> I have never installed any color picker on any machine I own, yet
>> every machine has one.
>> If RB has its own built in Color picker then I would think it
>> should be the same on every machine an RB built app is run on.
>
> Apple provides the panel and 4 default Color Pickers.
>
> I bet you installed this one:
> http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCWebColorPicker/
>
> Greetings
> Christian
>

Christian,

Well you are correct!! I do have RCWebColorPicker. When I could not
find it on my machine, I emailed Carl Lindberg the creator and he told
me that it would be in my Home/Library/Colorpicker folder. And, there
it was. I had done a finder find looking for files whose names contain
picker, but apparently Finder does not search in the Library folder,
go figure. Anyway, Carl also said that Graphic Converter probably
installed it, which explains how I got it.

Thanks for your replies,
Lou

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: SelectColor Function
Date: 09.08.09 18:19 (Sun, 9 Aug 2009 19:19:13 +0200)
From: Christian Schmitz

Am 09.08.2009 um 16:41 schrieb Louis G5 Batayte:

>
> So I thought RB was simply linking to the Mac OS color picker.
> I have never installed any color picker on any machine I own, yet
> every machine has one.
> If RB has its own built in Color picker then I would think it should
> be the same on every machine an RB built app is run on.

Apple provides the panel and 4 default Color Pickers.

I bet you installed this one:
http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCWebColorPicker/

Greetings
Christian

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: SelectColor Function
Date: 09.08.09 15:41 (Sun, 9 Aug 2009 10:41:24 -0400)
From: Louis G5 Batayte

On Aug 9, 2009, at 2:49 AM, Christian Schmitz wrote:

>
> Am 09.08.2009 um 06:51 schrieb Louis G5 Batayte:
>
>> I used the RB function SelectColor. I have noticed on different
>> Macs of mine, I get different versions of the picker control. On my
>> Quad G5 running OSX10.5.7, I get a picker with 6 icon controls. The
>> right most icon is a spider web where you can select web safe
>> colors. I get this same picker on an old G4 iBook running
>> OSX10.4.11. On my wife's MacBook Pro dual Core Intel running
>> OSX10.5.7 I get a picker with only the first 5 icons, i.e. the
>> spider web, web safe icon is missing. Also on an old G3 iBook
>> OSX10.3.9 I get the Picker with 5 icons. Anyone have any clues why,
>> in particular, why my wife's Intel OSX10.5.7 is missing the spider
>> icon?
>
> Because you did not install it.
> This is a third party color picker.
>
> Greetings
> Christian

Thanks for the reply, but I still don't understand. I thought Mac OS
provides the color picker. For example see:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story 060408050920158

So I thought RB was simply linking to the Mac OS color picker.
I have never installed any color picker on any machine I own, yet
every machine has one.
If RB has its own built in Color picker then I would think it should
be the same on every machine an RB built app is run on.

Lou





_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: SelectColor Function
Date: 09.08.09 07:49 (Sun, 9 Aug 2009 08:49:37 +0200)
From: Christian Schmitz

Am 09.08.2009 um 06:51 schrieb Louis G5 Batayte:

> I used the RB function SelectColor. I have noticed on different Macs
> of mine, I get different versions of the picker control. On my Quad
> G5 running OSX10.5.7, I get a picker with 6 icon controls. The right
> most icon is a spider web where you can select web safe colors. I
> get this same picker on an old G4 iBook running OSX10.4.11. On my
> wife's MacBook Pro dual Core Intel running OSX10.5.7 I get a picker
> with only the first 5 icons, i.e. the spider web, web safe icon is
> missing. Also on an old G3 iBook OSX10.3.9 I get the Picker with 5
> icons. Anyone have any clues why, in particular, why my wife's Intel
> OSX10.5.7 is missing the spider icon?

Because you did not install it.
This is a third party color picker.

Greetings
Christian


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>