Re: Lion questions (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Previous thread: Re: TypeLibs and API Interfaces for Windows

Re: Lion questions   -   Garth Hjelte
   Re: Lion questions   -   John Jobe
   Re: Lion questions   -   Stéphane Mons <
   Re: Lion questions   -   Tim Jones
   Lion questions   -   Garth Hjelte

Re: Lion questions
Date: 01.08.11 00:46 (Sun, 31 Jul 2011 18:46:22 -0500 (CDT))
From: Robert Lawrence
You *need* Snow Leopard 10.6.7 to purchase and download Lion
from the app store. It's more of an App Store requirement
than Lion.

Once downloaded, you can either "upgrade" a Snow Leopard install
or do a clean install (no existing OS) on any drive / computer as
long as the hardware meets the minimum requirements. You can easily
install on a secondary drive as you mentioned.

Regards,
Robert

----- Original Message -----
From: "Garth Hjelte" <<email address removed>>
To: "Realbasic NUG" <<email address removed>>
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:36:53 PM
Subject: Re: Lion questions

At 03:56 PM 7/31/2011, you wrote:

>I cloned my Snow Leopard Drive using SuperDuper (just bought a 2.5"
>-500GB drive and a firewire enclosure - total cost $125), and then
>did the upgrade to Lion. I can boot from either drive. (You could
>have 3 drives to boot from, Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion). You
>can't do the Lion upgrade from Leopard, has to be Snow Leopard.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to go that way, clone the
drive, then do an upgrade.

But... Does Lion have to be installed as an upgrade, or can it just
be a clean install? I read (was it here?) about making a CD of it
using some tricks of getting into the package. If I make a CD of it,
I don't have to clone my drive.

Or, doesn't the Lion installer ask you which drive you want to
install it on? My Mac mini is Leopard. I attach 2 drives, my Snow
Leopard USB drive and another HFS-formatted non-OS'd 120GB 2.5 USB
drive. I boot into the SL drive, go to the App Store, get the
product. Run the Lion installer and say "install Lion on the [second
USB drive without a os]". Can't you just do that? I thought that's
what other OS installers did.

Garth Hjelte
Sampler User

Re: Lion questions
Date: 01.08.11 00:03 (Mon, 01 Aug 2011 01:03:00 +0200)
From: Arnaud Nicolet
Le 31 juil. 11 à 23:36, Garth Hjelte a écrit:

> At 03:56 PM 7/31/2011, you wrote:
>> I cloned my Snow Leopard Drive using SuperDuper (just bought a 2.5"
>> -500GB drive and a firewire enclosure - total cost $125), and then
>> did the upgrade to Lion. I can boot from either drive. (You could
>> have 3 drives to boot from, Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion). You
>> can't do the Lion upgrade from Leopard, has to be Snow Leopard.
> Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to go that way, clone
> the drive, then do an upgrade.
> But... Does Lion have to be installed as an upgrade, or can it just
> be a clean install? I read (was it here?) about making a CD of it
> using some tricks of getting into the package. If I make a CD of it,
> I don't have to clone my drive.

You are correct. You then boot with the DVD and install on whichever
partition you want. You can even, as I did, use the Disk Utility of
the DVD (while booted off it, but before installing), add a new
partition to your existing disk, and use this new partition to install
Lion.

Re: Lion questions
Date: 31.07.11 22:36 (Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:36:53 -0500)
From: Garth Hjelte
At 03:56 PM 7/31/2011, you wrote:

>I cloned my Snow Leopard Drive using SuperDuper (just bought a 2.5"
>-500GB drive and a firewire enclosure - total cost $125), and then
>did the upgrade to Lion. I can boot from either drive. (You could
>have 3 drives to boot from, Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion). You
>can't do the Lion upgrade from Leopard, has to be Snow Leopard.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to go that way, clone the
drive, then do an upgrade.

But... Does Lion have to be installed as an upgrade, or can it just
be a clean install? I read (was it here?) about making a CD of it
using some tricks of getting into the package. If I make a CD of it,
I don't have to clone my drive.

Or, doesn't the Lion installer ask you which drive you want to
install it on? My Mac mini is Leopard. I attach 2 drives, my Snow
Leopard USB drive and another HFS-formatted non-OS'd 120GB 2.5 USB
drive. I boot into the SL drive, go to the App Store, get the
product. Run the Lion installer and say "install Lion on the [second
USB drive without a os]". Can't you just do that? I thought that's
what other OS installers did.

Garth Hjelte
Sampler User

Re: Lion questions
Date: 31.07.11 21:56 (Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:56:30 -0400)
From: Richard Schroeder
I cloned my Snow Leopard Drive using SuperDuper (just bought a 2.5" -500GB drive and a firewire enclosure - total cost $125), and then did the upgrade to Lion. I can boot from either drive. (You could have 3 drives to boot from, Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion). You can't do the Lion upgrade from Leopard, has to be Snow Leopard.

Richard Schroeder
rcschroeder@me.com

On Jul 31, 2011, at 4:47 AM, Emile Schwarz wrote:

> Le 30/07/11 21:00, <email address removed> a écrit :
>> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:02:18 -0500
>> From: Garth Hjelte<<email address removed>>
>> Subject: Lion questions
>> 2) (somewhat OT) I use Leopard mainly. I have Snow Leopard on a
>> external 120GB USB drive, to use when I want to check Snow Leopard.
>> The drive has hardly anything on it except Snow Leopard itself. If I
>> get Lion, can I install Lion on it without disturbing the Snow
>> Leopard OS? And will it fit on the 120GB drive? Or should I use
>> another 120GB USB drive to install Lion?
>> Garth Hjelte
>> Sampler User
> The problem you are facing today will be worst with a third OS you can boot on:
> Spotlight Indexing!
> Leopard and Snow Leopard does not use the same version and each time (here) I boot on the other OS version, I have the boot hard disk that is running, running, running… and hot is coming even if I do nothing. Same apply when I boot back to the other hard disk (the other OS version).
> I do not take time to check that with Lion, but I believe that the problem can arise there too.
> Emile
> _______________________________________________
> Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
> <http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>
> Search the archives:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Lion questions
Date: 31.07.11 09:47 (Sun, 31 Jul 2011 10:47:16 +0200)
From: Emile Schwarz
Le 30/07/11 21:00, <email address removed> a écrit :
> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:02:18 -0500
> From: Garth Hjelte<<email address removed>>
> Subject: Lion questions
> 2) (somewhat OT) I use Leopard mainly. I have Snow Leopard on a
> external 120GB USB drive, to use when I want to check Snow Leopard.
> The drive has hardly anything on it except Snow Leopard itself. If I
> get Lion, can I install Lion on it without disturbing the Snow
> Leopard OS? And will it fit on the 120GB drive? Or should I use
> another 120GB USB drive to install Lion?
> Garth Hjelte
> Sampler User
The problem you are facing today will be worst with a third OS you can
boot on:

Spotlight Indexing!

Leopard and Snow Leopard does not use the same version and each time
(here) I boot on the other OS version, I have the boot hard disk that is
running, running, running… and hot is coming even if I do nothing. Same
apply when I boot back to the other hard disk (the other OS version).

I do not take time to check that with Lion, but I believe that the
problem can arise there too.

Emile

Re: Lion questions
Date: 31.07.11 02:09 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:09:07 -0600)
From: Norman Palardy

On Jul 30, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Garth Hjelte wrote:

> 1) I write my registration info for my apps in where it should write
> it - /Library/Preferences/[myprefs].plist. This is the System
> Preferences, because I do all-computer authorizations, not single
> user ones.
> I don't have Lion (yet), but a customer seems to have a problem
> saving that file (my apps do it automatically). Typically I ask
> people to Repair Permissions; that usually fixes things, but he's
> tried it and it still doesn't work.
> Does Lion impose more restrictions
> or would you think this is a user-only issue?
Lion

Norman Palardy

Web 3.0 is here. See it at: http://www.realsoftware.com/web/video.php

Re: Lion questions
Date: 30.07.11 22:58 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:58:04 -0500)
From: Garth Hjelte
At 04:37 PM 7/30/2011, you wrote:

> > I don't have Lion (yet), but a customer seems to have a problem
> saving that file (my apps do it automatically). Typically I ask
> people to Repair Permissions; that usually fixes things, but he's
> tried it and it still doesn't work.
> >
> > Does Lion impose more restrictions, or would you think this is a
> user-only issue?
>Yes, Lion prevents writing to /Library.
>Write to /Users/Shared/[app identifier] instead.

Is this the new official Preferences folder, or is there no more
Preferences folder?

I googled this, and any program that wrote system-level preferences
has the same problem and needs an update really to work, since most
system-level preferences are critical and not just personal. From
what I saw on Google, this issue is far from resolved.

But I saw nothing that talked about a changing of the recommended
Preferences folder to /Users/Shared

Garth Hjelte
Sampler User

Re: Lion questions
Date: 30.07.11 22:37 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:37:23 -0700)
From: Glenn L. Austin
On Jul 30, 2011, at 9:02 AM, Garth Hjelte wrote:

Yes, Lion prevents writing to /Library.

Write to /Users/Shared/[app identifier] instead.

Re: Lion questions
Date: 30.07.11 21:50 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 15:50:26 -0500)
From: John Jobe

On Jul 30, 2011, at 2:02 PM, John Jobe wrote:

> Yep, just got it worked out *I think*.
> 1 create text file saved as postflight.sh with script as follows: (the name of the file does seem to be important)
> #! /bin/sh
> sudo mkdir "/Library/Application Support/MYAPPSFOLDER/" -m 777
> 2 set script file as executable from terminal:
> sudo chmod a+x postflight.sh
> 3 drop script file into a "postflight" folder within the resources of your app (the location of the script and name of the postflight folder does seem to be important)
> 4 I set the script to run as a component postflight script in PackageMaker and I got my folder in Application Support when the installer ran. The only authorization that was needed was the same one that is always required at the start of the install process. No additional warnings popped up (the possibility was indicated in the help guide). So, this looks like it might work as a solution for those using PackageMaker.
> If anyone else is in the same boat and wants to test and verify that'd be awesome.

I just wanted to add that with the exception of changing

> sudo mkdir "/Library/Application Support/MYAPPSFOLDER/" -m 777

to

> sudo mkdir -m 777 "/Library/Application Support/MYAPPSFOLDER/"

(that way permissions get applied properly. Instead of just getting a new folder I get a folder I can write to.)

I've now tested this on a few different machines under different accounts and it does seem to be a reliable solution for me under 10.7.

Thanks to all for the heads up and tips that got me going in the right direction.

Re: Lion questions
Date: 30.07.11 20:02 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:02:30 -0500)
From: John Jobe
On Jul 30, 2011, at 1:22 PM, Stéphane Mons wrote:

> Le 30 juil. 2011 à 19:43, John Jobe a écrit :
>> On Jul 30, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Stéphane Mons wrote:
>>>
>>> Le 30 juil. 2011 à 18:02, Garth Hjelte a écrit :
>>>
>>>> 1) I write my registration info for my apps in where it should write it - /Library/Preferences/[myprefs].plist. This is the System Preferences, because I do all-computer authorizations, not single user ones.
>>>>
>>>> I don't have Lion (yet), but a customer seems to have a problem saving that file (my apps do it automatically). Typically I ask people to Repair Permissions; that usually fixes things, but he's tried it and it still doesn't work.
>>>>
>>>> Does Lion impose more restrictions, or would you think this is a user-only issue?
> If I remember well, you can ask that the package respects owner/group and the permissions for every items. This is all you need to achieve your goal.
> 5 REM My Signature
> 10 PRINT "Stéphane"
> 20 GOTO 10

Yep, just got it worked out *I think*.

#! /bin/sh
sudo mkdir "/Library/Application Support/MYAPPSFOLDER/" -m 777

2 set script file as executable from terminal:

sudo chmod a+x postflight.sh

Re: Lion questions
Date: 30.07.11 19:22 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:22:01 +0200)
From: Stéphane Mons <

Le 30 juil. 2011 à 19:43, John Jobe a écrit :

> On Jul 30, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Stéphane Mons wrote:
>> Le 30 juil. 2011 à 18:02, Garth Hjelte a écrit :
>>>
>>>
> I was just investigating if the creation of a writable folder within /Library/ApplicationSupport/ or /Library/Preferences/ could be done at application install time if the install was being done through Apple's PackageMaker program. I use Apple's PackageMaker already and it requires the user to enter admin password so this seems like a good time to setup these folders (rather than at the first run of the application and thereby making users enter admin information a second time... this could cause confusion and concern). On Windows I've done this sort of thing with the installer, so this route seems to make sense for me if it is possible.
> In PackageMaker there is a pane for Package Actions (preinstall actions and postinall actions) but the actions that can be applied (create alias, create cookie file, get application, kill application, load kernel extension, etc.) appear to be predefined and I see no way to add an item (like create writable folder in /Library/AppicationSupport/ called "MyApp") to the list.
> I see that I could add a script to the components of the package (rather than the package itself) on another pane, but the help guide in PackageMaker warns against this as it will prompt the user with a warning that they could be doing something unsafe. Help guide states that preinstall and postinstall actions should be done at the package level.
> Are there any experienced PackageMaker users that might know if this is actually even possible (to create a custom action at the package level) and a pointer as to how. A search of docs came up with about a bazillion irrelevant entries, so either I am searching for the wrong topic or instructs for this don't exist. I'm really not sure…

5 REM My Signature
10 PRINT "Stéphane"
20 GOTO 10

Re: Lion questions
Date: 30.07.11 19:19 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:19:45 +0200)
From: Stéphane Mons <

Le 30 juil. 2011 à 20:00, Garth Hjelte a écrit :

> At 12:43 PM 7/30/2011, you wrote:
>> >> 1) I write my registration info for my apps in where it should write it - /Library/Preferences/[myprefs].plist. This is the System Preferences, because I do all-computer authorizations, not single user ones.
>> >>
>> >> I don't have Lion (yet), but a customer seems to have a problem saving that file (my apps do it automatically). Typically I ask people to Repair Permissions; that usually fixes things, but he's tried it and it still doesn't work.
>> >>
>> >> Does Lion impose more restrictions, or would you think this is a user-only issue?
>> I was just investigating if the creation of a writable folder within /Library/ApplicationSupport/ or /Library/Preferences/ could be done at application install time if the install was being done through Apple's PackageMaker program. I use Apple's PackageMaker already and it requires the user to enter admin password so this seems like a good time to setup these folders (rather than at Are there any experienced PackageMaker users that might know if this is actually even possible (to create a custom action at the package level) and a pointer as to how. A search of docs came up with about a bazillion irrelevant entries, so either I am searching for the wrong topic or instructs for this don't exist. I'm really not sure...
> I'd like to know too, although upon thinking about it, I want the access done on the app level, not the install, because I always want to guarantee the locations exist in case something happens to them, and I'll rewrite them in the app.
> Garth Hjelte

Well I'm a bit puzzled by the way Lion changes things because it doesn't really make sense overall. The only SURE thing is that Apple asks you to access preferences through CFPreferences or NSUSerDefaults APIs. This is a good idea, for many reasons, except that none of them are implemented in RS :-( Well, CFPreferences is available with MacOSLib, at least.

If you want to transparently create/modify a file in a privileged location, the recommended way is to create a console application especially for that task and pass arguments through the command line. Set the uid to "root" and the "setuid" bit to true. However, installing such an application will require you to create a package (because it contains a file with "setuid" bit set).

5 REM My Signature
10 PRINT "Stéphane"
20 GOTO 10

Re: Lion questions
Date: 30.07.11 19:00 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 13:00:30 -0500)
From: Garth Hjelte
At 12:43 PM 7/30/2011, you wrote:

> >> 1) I write my registration info for my apps in where it should
> write it - /Library/Preferences/[myprefs].plist. This is the System
> Preferences, because I do all-computer authorizations, not single user ones.
> >>
> >> I don't have Lion (yet), but a customer seems to have a problem
> saving that file (my apps do it automatically). Typically I ask
> people to Repair Permissions; that usually fixes things, but he's
> tried it and it still doesn't work.
> >>
> >> Does Lion impose more restrictions, or would you think this is a
> user-only issue?
>I was just investigating if the creation of a writable folder within
>/Library/ApplicationSupport/ or /Library/Preferences/ could be done
>at application install time if the install was being done through
>Apple's PackageMaker program. I use Apple's PackageMaker already
>and it requires the user to enter admin password so this seems like
>a good time to setup these folders (rather than at Are there any
>experienced PackageMaker users that might know if this is actually
>even possible (to create a custom action at the package level) and a
>pointer as to how. A search of docs came up with about a bazillion
>irrelevant entries, so either I am searching for the wrong topic or
>instructs for this don't exist. I'm really not sure...

I'd like to know too, although upon thinking about it, I want the
access done on the app level, not the install, because I always want
to guarantee the locations exist in case something happens to them,
and I'll rewrite them in the app.

Garth Hjelte
Sampler User

Re: Lion questions
Date: 30.07.11 18:43 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:43:44 -0500)
From: John Jobe

On Jul 30, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Stéphane Mons wrote:

> Le 30 juil. 2011 à 18:02, Garth Hjelte a écrit :

John

Re: Lion questions
Date: 30.07.11 18:07 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:07:26 +0200)
From: Stéphane Mons <

Le 30 juil. 2011 à 18:02, Garth Hjelte a écrit :

There seems to be some restrictions in Lion. Most people actually work in an administrator account but some don't (which is best for security). You may need to ask for an admin password to modify Preferences. The Apple preferred way is actually to give the choice to a user. If he/she doesn't have administrator access to a machine, you should use his/her ~/Library/Preferences instead. Also, account can be managed by an administrator who can enforce some restrictions or some preferences values.

> 2) (somewhat OT) I use Leopard mainly. I have Snow Leopard on a external 120GB USB drive, to use when I want to check Snow Leopard. The drive has hardly anything on it except Snow Leopard itself. If I get Lion, can I install Lion on it without disturbing the Snow Leopard OS? And will it fit on the 120GB drive? Or should I use another 120GB USB drive to install Lion?

It depends how much of the drive you're using. The best would be to use Disk Utility to shrink your 120GB partition, say down to 90-100GB, and create a new partition from the space you just freed (20-30GB, depending if you want a totally independent system with applications and documents or not. You may need more). Normally, Disk Utility can now modify partitions without erasing them, HOWEVER, always read the summary of what will be done (which should tell you if any volume or partition will be deleted) before actually proceeding. Of course, you also need an up-to-date time machine backup before doing anything like that !!

Then you can easily install Lion on the new partition. The only thing you can't do is to use the new File Vault because it would make "file-vaulted" partitions inaccessible to Leopard or Snow Leopard.

5 REM My Signature
10 PRINT "Stéphane"
20 GOTO 10

Re: Lion questions
Date: 30.07.11 17:39 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 09:39:58 -0700)
From: Tim Jones
On Jul 30, 2011, at 9:02 AM, Garth Hjelte wrote:

Simple answer - Yes, new restrictions abound. Sorry that sounds nebulous, but many of us are still testing the new "fences".

You can resize the Snow Leopard partition and install Lion - this is what I've done on my home system. However, running Lion from a USB drive will be painful as it seems to do a lot more disk-based stuff, so even simple tasks in Lion can cause the USB's drive light to come on regularly. If possible, I'd recommend that you consider adjust the size of your Leopard partition on your internal drive. If you're only using Lion for testing, 40GB will give you plenty of space.

HTH,
Tim

Lion questions
Date: 30.07.11 17:02 (Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:02:18 -0500)
From: Garth Hjelte
1) I write my registration info for my apps in where it should write
it - /Library/Preferences/[myprefs].plist. This is the System
Preferences, because I do all-computer authorizations, not single user ones.

I don't have Lion (yet), but a customer seems to have a problem
saving that file (my apps do it automatically). Typically I ask
people to Repair Permissions; that usually fixes things, but he's
tried it and it still doesn't work.

Does Lion impose more restrictions, or would you think this is a
user-only issue?

2) (somewhat OT) I use Leopard mainly. I have Snow Leopard on a
external 120GB USB drive, to use when I want to check Snow Leopard.
The drive has hardly anything on it except Snow Leopard itself. If I
get Lion, can I install Lion on it without disturbing the Snow
Leopard OS? And will it fit on the 120GB drive? Or should I use
another 120GB USB drive to install Lion?

Garth Hjelte