Xojo Developer Conference
25/27th April 2018 in Denver.
MBS Xojo Conference
6/7th September 2018 in Munich, Germany.

Re: macoslib additions (Real Studio network user group Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: Documentation for Shared Properties?
Next thread: RE: Multi-tasking/Multi-threading (was How do I handle a "PleaseWait"window?)


Re: macoslib additions   -   Thomas Cunningham
   macoslib additions   -   Charles Yeomans
    Re: macoslib additions   -   Charles Yeomans
    Re: macoslib additions   -   Eric de La Rochette
    Re: macoslib additions   -   Charles Yeomans
    Re: macoslib additions   -   Charles Yeomans
    Re: macoslib additions   -   Charles Yeomans
    Re: macoslib additions   -   Eric de La Rochette
    Re: macoslib additions   -   Eric de La Rochette
    Re: macoslib additions   -   Tim Jones
    Re: macoslib additions   -   Brad Hutchings

Re: macoslib additions
Date: 04.08.11 04:23 (Wed, 3 Aug 2011 17:23:20 -1000)
From: Thomas Cunningham
> Dunno if I'd call those lava bumps "mountains" :P
> They are pretty decent beaches though

Bump? Auwe! Haleakala is 10,023 feet above sea level, and an amazing 25,000 feet above the ocean floor. 8-)

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

macoslib additions
Date: 01.08.11 23:32 (Mon, 1 Aug 2011 18:32:01 -0400)
From: Charles Yeomans
I've added a bunch of Cocoa menu items to macoslib. They provide most of the functionality found in the Edit and Format menus in TextEdit, and were written for use with TextArea controls. But they should work for any Cocoa control that supports them. As a bonus, I've written them with localization in mind; currently, US English, German, and Japanese support exists. Proofreading by anyone fluent in any of these languages would be appreciated.

There is occasional enabling weirdness; I'm optimistic that changes to the menu implementation in Cocoa builds will resolve this in the future.

Charles Yeomans
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: macoslib additions
Date: 02.08.11 20:40 (Tue, 2 Aug 2011 15:40:36 -0400)
From: Charles Yeomans

On Aug 2, 2011, at 2:55 PM, Eric de La Rochette wrote:

>
> Le 2 août 11 à 15:34, Charles Yeomans a écrit :
>
>> I got most of them from TextEdit. Some others I found in AppKit.framework, and maybe some other places. In the Resources directories one can find the localizations. It's a little time-consuming, so I only did the three languages to confirm that localization was working.
>
> Thank you very much for the info, it was very helpful and I'm now done with the french localization. If you want I can email you the Lingua file.
>
> BTW, I've found a couple of errors:
>
> CocoaMenuItemFontStyles.LocalizedText
> It has 3 dots instead of the single ellipsis character.
>
> CocoaMenuItemSpacing.LocalizedText
> There is an extra space just before the ellipsis.

This is interesting. There appeared to have been differences by language. Here are the entries for a menu item.

List…
Liste …
リスト...

The US English word is followed by the Unicode ellipsis. The German word is followed by a space, then a Unicode ellipsis. The Japanese word is followed by three dots. I found a few exceptions, including Styles, in the TextEdit English localization that used three dots instead of a single ellipsis character that I put down to lack of quality control at Apple.

Do send me the Lingua file. If I can figure out how to use it, I'll add the French localizations. Thanks for pitching in.

Charles Yeomans

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: macoslib additions
Date: 02.08.11 19:55 (Tue, 2 Aug 2011 18:55:18 +0000)
From: Eric de La Rochette

Le 2 août 11 à 15:34, Charles Yeomans a écrit :

> I got most of them from TextEdit. Some others I found in
> AppKit.framework, and maybe some other places. In the Resources
> directories one can find the localizations. It's a little time-
> consuming, so I only did the three languages to confirm that
> localization was working.

Thank you very much for the info, it was very helpful and I'm now done
with the french localization. If you want I can email you the Lingua
file.

BTW, I've found a couple of errors:

CocoaMenuItemFontStyles.LocalizedText
It has 3 dots instead of the single ellipsis character.

CocoaMenuItemSpacing.LocalizedText
There is an extra space just before the ellipsis.

HTH,

--

Re: macoslib additions
Date: 02.08.11 16:39 (Tue, 2 Aug 2011 11:39:45 -0400)
From: Charles Yeomans
Only if you live near the beach or the mountains.

Charles Yeomans

On Aug 1, 2011, at 7:47 PM, Tim Jones wrote:

> Actually, he'll be visiting each of us, installing the update, and providing personalized training.
>
> (Sorry, Charles - I couldn't resist)
>
> Tim
>
> On Aug 1, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Brad Hutchings wrote:
>
>> Great work Charles! I assume you can make that available on MFS formatted floppy disk with printed documentation.
>>
>> -Brad
>>
>> On Aug 1, 2011, at 3:32 PM, Charles Yeomans wrote:
>>
>>> I've added a bunch of Cocoa menu items to macoslib. They provide most of the functionality found in the Edit and Format menus in TextEdit, and were written for use with TextArea controls. But they should work for any Cocoa control that supports them. As a bonus, I've written them with localization in mind; currently, US English, German, and Japanese support exists. Proofreading by anyone fluent in any of these languages would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> There is occasional enabling weirdness; I'm optimistic that changes to the menu implementation in Cocoa builds will resolve this in the future.
>>>
>>>
>>> Charles Yeomans

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: macoslib additions
Date: 02.08.11 16:34 (Tue, 2 Aug 2011 11:34:31 -0400)
From: Charles Yeomans

On Aug 2, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Eric de La Rochette wrote:

>
> Le 1 août 11 à 22:32, Charles Yeomans a écrit :
>
>> As a bonus, I've written them with localization in mind; currently, US English, German, and Japanese support exists. Proofreading by anyone fluent in any of these languages would be appreciated.
>
> As I'm having some spare time ahead of me, I've decided to start the french localization of the cocoa MenuItems with Lingua.
> Currently, I'm almost done with it. But there is 7 items remaining that I'm having hard time to localize because of the lack of context. So I was wondering where did you get all those MenuItems. Having more information about their purpose may help to avoid bad translation.

I got most of them from TextEdit. Some others I found in AppKit.framework, and maybe some other places. In the Resources directories one can find the localizations. It's a little time-consuming, so I only did the three languages to confirm that localization was working.

Charles Yeomans

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: macoslib additions
Date: 02.08.11 16:29 (Tue, 2 Aug 2011 11:29:31 -0400)
From: Charles Yeomans

On Aug 2, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Eric de La Rochette wrote:

>
> Le 2 août 11 à 12:50, Eric de La Rochette a écrit :
>
>> Le 1 août 11 à 22:32, Charles Yeomans a écrit :
>>
>>> As a bonus, I've written them with localization in mind; currently, US English, German, and Japanese support exists. Proofreading by anyone fluent in any of these languages would be appreciated.
>
> BTW, I've found two cocoa menu items for which the LocalizedText constant wasn't set as Dynamic.
>
> Here they are in the IDE bookmark form:
>
> CocoaMenuItemWritingDirectionBaseNatural.LocalizedText
> CocoaMenuItemWritingDirectionTextNatural.LocalizedText
>

Fixed; thanks.

Charles Yeomans

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: macoslib additions
Date: 02.08.11 15:27 (Tue, 2 Aug 2011 14:27:23 +0000)
From: Eric de La Rochette

Le 2 août 11 à 12:50, Eric de La Rochette a écrit :

> Le 1 août 11 à 22:32, Charles Yeomans a écrit :
>
>> As a bonus, I've written them with localization in mind; currently,
>> US English, German, and Japanese support exists. Proofreading by
>> anyone fluent in any of these languages would be appreciated.

BTW, I've found two cocoa menu items for which the LocalizedText
constant wasn't set as Dynamic.

Here they are in the IDE bookmark form:

CocoaMenuItemWritingDirectionBaseNatural.LocalizedText
CocoaMenuItemWritingDirectionTextNatural.LocalizedText

HTH,

--
Eri

Re: macoslib additions
Date: 02.08.11 13:50 (Tue, 2 Aug 2011 12:50:30 +0000)
From: Eric de La Rochette

Le 1 août 11 à 22:32, Charles Yeomans a écrit :

> As a bonus, I've written them with localization in mind; currently,
> US English, German, and Japanese support exists. Proofreading by
> anyone fluent in any of these languages would be appreciated.

As I'm having some spare time ahead of me, I've decided to start the
french localization of the cocoa MenuItems with Lingua.
Currently, I'm almost done with it. But there is 7 items remaining
that I'm having hard time to localize because of the lack of context.
So I was wondering where did you get all those MenuItems. Having more
information about their purpose may help to avoid bad translation.

--

Re: macoslib additions
Date: 02.08.11 00:47 (Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:47:44 -0700)
From: Tim Jones
Actually, he'll be visiting each of us, installing the update, and providing personalized training.

(Sorry, Charles - I couldn't resist)

Tim

On Aug 1, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Brad Hutchings wrote:

> Great work Charles! I assume you can make that available on MFS formatted floppy disk with printed documentation.
>
> -Brad
>
> On Aug 1, 2011, at 3:32 PM, Charles Yeomans wrote:
>
>> I've added a bunch of Cocoa menu items to macoslib. They provide most of the functionality found in the Edit and Format menus in TextEdit, and were written for use with TextArea controls. But they should work for any Cocoa control that supports them. As a bonus, I've written them with localization in mind; currently, US English, German, and Japanese support exists. Proofreading by anyone fluent in any of these languages would be appreciated.
>>
>> There is occasional enabling weirdness; I'm optimistic that changes to the menu implementation in Cocoa builds will resolve this in the future.
>>
>> Charles Yeomans
>
> _______________________________________________
> Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
> <http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>
> Search the archives:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: macoslib additions
Date: 02.08.11 00:40 (Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:40:35 -0700)
From: Brad Hutchings
Great work Charles! I assume you can make that available on MFS formatted floppy disk with printed documentation.

-Brad

On Aug 1, 2011, at 3:32 PM, Charles Yeomans wrote:

> I've added a bunch of Cocoa menu items to macoslib. They provide most of the functionality found in the Edit and Format menus in TextEdit, and were written for use with TextArea controls. But they should work for any Cocoa control that supports them. As a bonus, I've written them with localization in mind; currently, US English, German, and Japanese support exists. Proofreading by anyone fluent in any of these languages would be appreciated.
>
> There is occasional enabling weirdness; I'm optimistic that changes to the menu implementation in Cocoa builds will resolve this in the future.
>
> Charles Yeomans

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>