Xojo Developer Conference
25/27th April 2018 in Denver.
MBS Xojo Conference
6/7th September 2018 in Munich, Germany.

Plugin file hierarchy (Real Studio Plugins Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: resources in new rb plugin format
Next thread: Re: Plugin SDK for Codewarrior 9 SOLVED


macosx and unix paths   -   GOLD
  Plugin file hierarchy   -   Alfred Van Hoek
   Re: Plugin file hierarchy   -   William Yu
    Re: Plugin file hierarchy   -   Alfred Van Hoek
     Re: Plugin file hierarchy   -   William Yu
      Re: Plugin file hierarchy   -   Alfred Van Hoek
    Re: Plugin file hierarchy   -   Chad J McQuinn
     Re: Plugin file hierarchy   -   William Yu

Plugin file hierarchy
Date: 08.06.04 20:44 (Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:44:19 -0400)
From: Alfred Van Hoek
Should the vv.root folder contain only one folder in the plugin file
hierarchy, i.e., if RB loads the .rbx file will it assume only one folder at
the root, or does it check the folder name, or does it do an even more
thorough check up (deep search)?

Alfred

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Plugin file hierarchy
Date: 08.06.04 21:14 (Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:14:27 -0500)
From: William Yu
On 6/8/04 2:44 PM, "Alfred Van Hoek" <<email address removed>> wrote:

> Should the vv.root folder contain only one folder in the plugin file
> hierarchy, i.e., if RB loads the .rbx file will it assume only one folder at
> the root, or does it check the folder name, or does it do an even more
> thorough check up (deep search)?

We should look at all the root folders, this allows you to add multiple
plug-ins per RBX file. Although I don't think anyone's currently using this
approach, because you can do the same thing by adding multiple libraries
inside the Build Resources folder (which I don't recommend, because we have
to rely on library order).

Regards,
William Yu
<email address removed>

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Plugin file hierarchy
Date: 09.06.04 03:23 (Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:23:48 -0400)
From: Alfred Van Hoek
on 6/8/04 4:14 PM, William Yu at <email address removed> wrote:

>> Should the vv.root folder contain only one folder in the plugin file
>> hierarchy, i.e., if RB loads the .rbx file will it assume only one folder at
>> the root, or does it check the folder name, or does it do an even more
>> thorough check up (deep search)?
>
> We should look at all the root folders, this allows you to add multiple
> plug-ins per RBX file. Although I don't think anyone's currently using this
> approach, because you can do the same thing by adding multiple libraries
> inside the Build Resources folder (which I don't recommend, because we have
> to rely on library order).
>

This is good info, and yes it appears that the order in which each of the
plug hierarchies are stuffed in the virtual volume is preserved. Of course
you can do the same by adding libraries sequentially inside the build
resources folder to obtain predefined order... ?

My question was, however, more or less related to adding a folder containing
TEXT and styl data files at the root. Your answer also confirms that this
can be done, without getting RB complaining.

Another related question: it seems that by concept you could have a
virtualvolume-folderitem inside another virtualvolume, or is this not
possible? I imagine you shouldn't use openAsVirtualVolume inside an already
opened vv, but need to copy it out first...

Alfred

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Plugin file hierarchy
Date: 09.06.04 16:34 (Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:34:54 -0500)
From: William Yu
On 6/8/04 9:23 PM, "Alfred Van Hoek" <<email address removed>> wrote:

>> We should look at all the root folders, this allows you to add multiple
>> plug-ins per RBX file. Although I don't think anyone's currently using this
>> approach, because you can do the same thing by adding multiple libraries
>> inside the Build Resources folder (which I don't recommend, because we have
>> to rely on library order).
>
> This is good info, and yes it appears that the order in which each of the
> plug hierarchies are stuffed in the virtual volume is preserved. Of course
> you can do the same by adding libraries sequentially inside the build
> resources folder to obtain predefined order... ?

Yes, you should use the RB Plugin Converter to make sure the order is
correct. The big problem with this approach is when you have multiple
targets, and maybe 3 out of your 5 plug-ins support Windows, but the other 2
only support OS X.

> My question was, however, more or less related to adding a folder containing
> TEXT and styl data files at the root. Your answer also confirms that this
> can be done, without getting RB complaining.

Yep, you can add just about anything, anywhere.

> Another related question: it seems that by concept you could have a
> virtualvolume-folderitem inside another virtualvolume, or is this not
> possible? I imagine you shouldn't use openAsVirtualVolume inside an already
> opened vv, but need to copy it out first...

This is not going to work because we look at plug-in folders inside the VV
and not files.

Regards,
William Yu
<email address removed>

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Plugin file hierarchy
Date: 09.06.04 16:44 (Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:44:57 -0400)
From: Alfred Van Hoek
on 6/9/04 11:34 AM, William Yu at <email address removed> wrote:

> This is not going to work because we look at plug-in folders inside the VV
> and not files.

That's fine with me, don't want rb to access it, as long as I can do it
safely...

Alfred

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Plugin file hierarchy
Date: 09.06.04 16:19 (Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:19:51 -0500)
From: Chad J McQuinn
On Jun 8, 2004, at 3:14 PM, William Yu wrote:

> We should look at all the root folders, this allows you to add multiple
> plug-ins per RBX file. Although I don't think anyone's currently
> using this
> approach, because you can do the same thing by adding multiple
> libraries
> inside the Build Resources folder (which I don't recommend, because we
> have
> to rely on library order).

I'm not clear what you mean when you say you "should" look at all the
root folders; do you mean that you *think* you do and didn't check, or
that you don't but you should add it in the future?

IOW, are you recommending that we follow the multiple-root-folder
approach and have only a single plugin within each one? The plugin
converter does just the opposite.

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Plugin file hierarchy
Date: 09.06.04 16:42 (Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:42:56 -0500)
From: William Yu
On 6/9/04 10:19 AM, "Chad J McQuinn" <<email address removed>> wrote:

>> We should look at all the root folders, this allows you to add multiple
>> plug-ins per RBX file. Although I don't think anyone's currently
>> using this
>> approach, because you can do the same thing by adding multiple
>> libraries
>> inside the Build Resources folder (which I don't recommend, because we
>> have
>> to rely on library order).
>
> I'm not clear what you mean when you say you "should" look at all the
> root folders; do you mean that you *think* you do and didn't check, or
> that you don't but you should add it in the future?

This usually means that we've tested this about once, and so in theory it
"should" work, but that was a long time ago...

> IOW, are you recommending that we follow the multiple-root-folder
> approach and have only a single plugin within each one? The plugin
> converter does just the opposite.

Yes.

Regards,
William Yu
<email address removed>

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>