Xojo Conferences
XDCMay2019MiamiUSA

Shell script for makeing res file? (Real Studio Plugins Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: error in windows compile
Next thread: How to make plugins for console applications?


macosx and unix paths   -   GOLD
  Shell script for makeing res file?   -   Christian Schmitz
   Re: Shell script for makeing res file?   -   Chad J McQuinn
    Re: Shell script for makeing res file?   -   Christian Schmitz
     Re: Shell script for makeing res file?   -   Chad J McQuinn
     Re: Shell script for makeing res file?   -   Brad Hutchings
     Re: Shell script for makeing res file?   -   Chad J McQuinn
     Re: Shell script for makeing res file?   -   Brad Hutchings

Shell script for makeing res file?
Date: 13.06.04 23:00 (Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:00:27 +0200)
From: Christian Schmitz
Hi,

has someone already made a script for the "Shell Tool Postlinker" to
copy a dylib into a resource file with a given ID? (PLMO resource)

or has someone changed the DLL Postlinker to run as a dylib Postlinker?

Mfg
Christian

Re: Shell script for makeing res file?
Date: 14.06.04 00:12 (Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:12:29 -0500)
From: Chad J McQuinn
On Jun 13, 2004, at 5:00 PM, Christian Schmitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> has someone already made a script for the "Shell Tool Postlinker" to
> copy a dylib into a resource file with a given ID? (PLMO resource)

This would be pretty easy to do with the Perl "Mac::*" modules, but it
doesn't seem like it's necessary. I think if you just put the dylib in
the right folder of the hierarchy ("Mac Carbon Mach-O" or something
like that), plugin converter should do the right thing--just as it will
with either a DLL or a DLL packed into a resource for windows.

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Shell script for makeing res file?
Date: 14.06.04 01:19 (Mon, 14 Jun 2004 02:19:05 +0200)
From: Christian Schmitz
Chad J McQuinn <<email address removed>> wrote:

> This would be pretty easy to do with the Perl "Mac::*" modules, but it
> doesn't seem like it's necessary. I think if you just put the dylib in
> the right folder of the hierarchy ...

I build Resource based plugins with Codewarrior and later I use the
converter to make the Windows plugins.

Mfg
Christian

Re: Shell script for makeing res file?
Date: 14.06.04 03:58 (Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:58:15 -0500)
From: Chad J McQuinn
On Jun 13, 2004, at 7:19 PM, Christian Schmitz wrote:

> Chad J McQuinn <<email address removed>> wrote:
>
>> This would be pretty easy to do with the Perl "Mac::*" modules, but it
>> doesn't seem like it's necessary. I think if you just put the dylib in
>> the right folder of the hierarchy ...
>
> I build Resource based plugins with Codewarrior and later I use the
> converter to make the Windows plugins.

OK, but unless you don't want to use the new .rbx plugin format for
some reason, I don't think you need to bother putting the mach-o shared
library into a resource. I believe plugin converter will do the right
thing if you just put the shared library inside the right place in the
folder hierarchy.

Unless you are saying that you build the entire combined plugin as a
resource, and then use the plugin converter on that. If so I would
recommend that you move to having CW build a folder hierarchy instead;
all the extra steps with packing things into resources aren't
necessary. Build code resources for Carbon-CFM and classic, a DLL for
windows, and a shared library for Mach-O, and set the output
directories to the various places inside a .rbx folder hierarchy. No
need to mess with merge and the like.

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Shell script for makeing res file?
Date: 14.06.04 04:16 (Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:16:31 -0700)
From: Brad Hutchings
Aha! And this is exactly what I did and ended up with a Classic plugin
that was totally hosed. Grrrrrrr!!!!

-Brad

On Jun 13, 2004, at 7:58 PM, Chad J McQuinn wrote:

> Unless you are saying that you build the entire combined plugin as a
> resource, and then use the plugin converter on that. If so I would
> recommend that you move to having CW build a folder hierarchy instead;
> all the extra steps with packing things into resources aren't
> necessary. Build code resources for Carbon-CFM and classic, a DLL for
> windows, and a shared library for Mach-O, and set the output
> directories to the various places inside a .rbx folder hierarchy. No
> need to mess with merge and the like.

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Shell script for makeing res file?
Date: 14.06.04 04:41 (Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:41:53 -0500)
From: Chad J McQuinn
How did you build the classic target? Note that it still needs to be a
code resource, *with* the "native header" option checked.

Joe Strout and I talked about this a bit last week sometime on-list.
I'm sure the process I described works; I've got it completely
automated at this point so that cmd-M in codewarrior produces the
intermediate folder hierarchy and finally a single-file .rbx plugin,
with no further interaction from me.

-Chad

On Jun 13, 2004, at 10:16 PM, Brad Hutchings wrote:

> Aha! And this is exactly what I did and ended up with a Classic plugin
> that was totally hosed. Grrrrrrr!!!!
>
> -Brad
>
> On Jun 13, 2004, at 7:58 PM, Chad J McQuinn wrote:
>
>> Unless you are saying that you build the entire combined plugin as a
>> resource, and then use the plugin converter on that. If so I would
>> recommend that you move to having CW build a folder hierarchy
>> instead; all the extra steps with packing things into resources
>> aren't necessary. Build code resources for Carbon-CFM and classic, a
>> DLL for windows, and a shared library for Mach-O, and set the output
>> directories to the various places inside a .rbx folder hierarchy. No
>> need to mess with merge and the like.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>
> Search the archives of this list here:
> <http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Shell script for makeing res file?
Date: 14.06.04 05:11 (Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:11:31 -0700)
From: Brad Hutchings
OK, I just figured this all out ;-). There was a problem with the
Plugin Converter where if you had the classic code resource and the
carbon shared library, it wouldn't pick up the shared library. Go into
the source and set:

resType = ""

at the top of the for loop in PluginConverter.AddFolderToVV and the
problem is resolved.

-Brad

On Jun 13, 2004, at 8:41 PM, Chad J McQuinn wrote:

> How did you build the classic target? Note that it still needs to be a
> code resource, *with* the "native header" option checked.
>
> Joe Strout and I talked about this a bit last week sometime on-list.
> I'm sure the process I described works; I've got it completely
> automated at this point so that cmd-M in codewarrior produces the
> intermediate folder hierarchy and finally a single-file .rbx plugin,
> with no further interaction from me.
>
> -Chad

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>