Xojo Conferences
XDCMay2019MiamiUSA

Cross-platform (Real Studio Plugins Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: strcat
Next thread: Returning date


macosx and unix paths   -   GOLD
  Cross-platform   -   Dan Cooper
   Re: Cross-platform   -   Joseph J. Strout
    Re: Cross-platform   -   Dan Cooper
   Re: Cross-platform   -   Christian Schmitz
   Re: Cross-platform   -   Joseph J. Strout
   Re: Cross-platform   -   James Milne
    Re: Cross-platform   -   Dan Cooper
   Re: Cross-platform   -   Gordon Tillman

Cross-platform
Date: 02.11.04 17:07 (Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:07:05 +0000)
From: Dan Cooper
This may be a stupid question, but if I develop a plugin in Windows, can
I use Mac API calls and make it work on a Mac? And it I can, will it
work in the Mac IDE?

Dan.
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Cross-platform
Date: 02.11.04 17:17 (Tue, 2 Nov 2004 10:17:42 -0600)
From: Joseph J. Strout
At 4:07 PM +0000 11/2/04, Dan Cooper wrote:

>This may be a stupid question, but if I develop a plugin in Windows,
>can I use Mac API calls and make it work on a Mac?

No, because as far as I know, there is no C++ compiler on Windows
that can generate Mac code. To make a cross-platform plugin, you'll
need to develop at least the Macintosh part of it on a Mac.

Cheers,
- Joe

Re: Cross-platform
Date: 02.11.04 17:28 (Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:28:26 +0000)
From: Dan Cooper
So how would I go about creating a cross-platform plugin?

Dan.


Joseph J. Strout wrote:

> At 4:07 PM +0000 11/2/04, Dan Cooper wrote:
>
>> This may be a stupid question, but if I develop a plugin in Windows,
>> can I use Mac API calls and make it work on a Mac?
>
> No, because as far as I know, there is no C++ compiler on Windows that
> can generate Mac code. To make a cross-platform plugin, you'll need
> to develop at least the Macintosh part of it on a Mac.
>
> Cheers,
> - Joe
>
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Cross-platform
Date: 02.11.04 17:27 (Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:27:41 +0100)
From: Christian Schmitz
Dan Cooper <<email address removed>> wrote:

> This may be a stupid question, but if I develop a plugin in Windows, can
> I use Mac API calls and make it work on a Mac?

You need a Mac to make a plugin for a Mac.

Mfg
Christian

Re: Cross-platform
Date: 02.11.04 17:39 (Tue, 2 Nov 2004 10:39:20 -0600)
From: Joseph J. Strout
At 4:28 PM +0000 11/2/04, Dan Cooper wrote:

>So how would I go about creating a cross-platform plugin?

Get a Mac and a copy of CodeWarrior, download the plug-in SDK, and
follow the documentation and examples. I think that all the examples
included with the .sit version of the SDK work on both Mac and
Windows, and I believe we have at least one Linux plug-in in there as
well.

Best,
- Joe

Re: Cross-platform
Date: 02.11.04 18:06 (Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:06:07 +0000)
From: James Milne

On 2 Nov, 2004, at 16:07, Dan Cooper wrote:

> This may be a stupid question, but if I develop a plugin in Windows,
> can I use Mac API calls and make it work on a Mac? And it I can, will
> it work in the Mac IDE?

I don't know if Apple's branch of GCC will compile on other platforms.
If it does, you could grab a copy of Cygwin on Windows, build a Mach-O
cross-compiler with it, and use that cross-complier to compile Mac
versions of your plugin. You just need to compile the plugin as a
Mach-O shared library (extension of .dylib).

However, you'll still need a Mac capable of running Mac OS X to run it,
so you'd be better off using Xcode on the Mac to compile your plugin.

Re: Cross-platform
Date: 02.11.04 18:10 (Tue, 02 Nov 2004 17:10:55 +0000)
From: Dan Cooper
I've got a PowerBook running OSX 10.3 but I have never done any kind of
development on the Mac (Other than RB) and it seems very different to
what I'm used to (Visual Studio).

So it is possible to create a plug-in on a Mac and it work in OSX and
Windows? Can I compile it on a Mac to use Windows API calls etc?

Dan.




James Milne wrote:

>
> On 2 Nov, 2004, at 16:07, Dan Cooper wrote:
>
>> This may be a stupid question, but if I develop a plugin in Windows,
>> can I use Mac API calls and make it work on a Mac? And it I can, will
>> it work in the Mac IDE?
>
> I don't know if Apple's branch of GCC will compile on other platforms.
> If it does, you could grab a copy of Cygwin on Windows, build a Mach-O
> cross-compiler with it, and use that cross-complier to compile Mac
> versions of your plugin. You just need to compile the plugin as a
> Mach-O shared library (extension of .dylib).
>
> However, you'll still need a Mac capable of running Mac OS X to run
> it, so you'd be better off using Xcode on the Mac to compile your plugin.
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
> James Milne
>
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: Cross-platform
Date: 02.11.04 18:14 (Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:14:27 -0600)
From: Gordon Tillman
Hi Dan,

On Nov 2, 2004, at 11:10, Dan Cooper wrote:

> I've got a PowerBook running OSX 10.3 but I have never done any kind
> of development on the Mac (Other than RB) and it seems very different
> to what I'm used to (Visual Studio).
>
> So it is possible to create a plug-in on a Mac and it work in OSX and
> Windows? Can I compile it on a Mac to use Windows API calls etc?
>
> Dan.

It sure is. I use Codewarrior on the Mac and it can compile both for
the Mac platform and for the Window's platform, including linking in
the windows sdk libraries, etc. Works very well.

--gordon

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>