Xojo Conferences
MBSOct2019CologneDE

Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load? (Real Studio Plugins Mailinglist archive)

Back to the thread list
Previous thread: USB Help, Fundamentals perspective
Next thread: Communicating between background threads on Win32


Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?   -   Will Leshner
  Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?   -   Ruslan Zasukhin
   Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?   -   Alfred Van Hoek
    Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?   -   Ruslan Zasukhin
   Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?   -   Jonathan Johnson
    Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?   -   Ruslan Zasukhin
    Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?   -   Jonathan Johnson
     Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?   -   Ruslan Zasukhin
     Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?   -   Christian Schmitz

Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?
Date: 03.02.06 18:44 (Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:44:53 -0800)
From: Will Leshner

On Feb 3, 2006, at 3:33 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> What plugin will choose RB? Carbon or Macho ?
>
> * As far as I see it always choose Carbon.

Actually, the distinction is PEF and MachO. They are both Carbon.
When I build a Mac OS X-only app, I get the MachO version of my
plugin. When I build a Mac OS X and OS 9 app, I get the PEF version
of my plugin. That's been consistently the behavior for me.

Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?
Date: 05.02.06 09:18 (Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:18:09 +0200)
From: Ruslan Zasukhin
On 2/3/06 7:44 PM, "Will Leshner" <<email address removed>> wrote:

Hi Will,

>> What plugin will choose RB? Carbon or Macho ?
>>
>> * As far as I see it always choose Carbon.
>
> Actually, the distinction is PEF and MachO. They are both Carbon.

right

> When I build a Mac OS X-only app, I get the MachO version of my
> plugin. When I build a Mac OS X and OS 9 app, I get the PEF version
> of my plugin. That's been consistently the behavior for me.

Yes this is also clear of course.

My question was:

what plugin is used when you work in REALbasic IDE?

REALbasic load some plugin, which he parse and use info
to show auto-completion. Right?

* As far as I see, REALBasic always choose PEF-Carbon plugin for this.

* If I build .rbx with MACHO and Windows plugins only then REALbasic do not
see plugin at all.

Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?
Date: 05.02.06 16:10 (Sun, 5 Feb 2006 10:10:29 -0500)
From: Alfred Van Hoek

On Feb 5, 2006, at 3:18 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

>
> * As far as I see, REALBasic always choose PEF-Carbon plugin for this.
>
> * If I build .rbx with MACHO and Windows plugins only then REALbasic
> do not
> see plugin at all.
>

It has been said several times, that the workaround would be to not
encapsulate the dylib into a virtual .rbx volume. Then RB will use the
dylib to load the plugin in the IDE. THe other workaround is to add a
dummy pef target in the rbx, and you will be fine

Alfred

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe or switch delivery mode:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/support/listmanager/>

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://support.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>

Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?
Date: 05.02.06 21:22 (Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:22:49 +0200)
From: Ruslan Zasukhin
On 2/5/06 5:10 PM, "Alfred Van Hoek" <<email address removed>> wrote:

Hi Alfred,

>> * As far as I see, REALBasic always choose PEF-Carbon plugin for this.
>>
>> * If I build .rbx with MACHO and Windows plugins only then REALbasic
>> do not
>> see plugin at all.
>>
> It has been said several times, that the workaround would be to not
> encapsulate the dylib into a virtual .rbx volume. Then RB will use the
> dylib to load the plugin in the IDE.

Hmm, this was my first attempt, it did not work.
But I then try again if this should work.
Thank you, Alfred!

> THe other workaround is to add a
> dummy pef target in the rbx, and you will be fine

Dummy mean what ?

Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?
Date: 05.02.06 18:28 (Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:28:41 -0600)
From: Jonathan Johnson
On 2/5/06, Alfred Van Hoek <<email address removed>> wrote:
>
> On Feb 5, 2006, at 3:18 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>
> >
> > * As far as I see, REALBasic always choose PEF-Carbon plugin for this.
> >
> > * If I build .rbx with MACHO and Windows plugins only then REALbasic
> > do not
> > see plugin at all.
> >
> It has been said several times, that the workaround would be to not
> encapsulate the dylib into a virtual .rbx volume. Then RB will use the
> dylib to load the plugin in the IDE. THe other workaround is to add a
> dummy pef target in the rbx, and you will be fine

I don't believe this is a problem in 2005/6 anymore. Or rather, I
haven't experienced the problem myself with some of our plugins that
only have Mach-O, Windows, and Linux targets.

-Jon

Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?
Date: 05.02.06 21:31 (Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:31:26 +0200)
From: Ruslan Zasukhin
On 2/5/06 7:28 PM, "Jonathan Johnson" <<email address removed>> wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

>>> * As far as I see, REALBasic always choose PEF-Carbon plugin for this.
>>>
>>> * If I build .rbx with MACHO and Windows plugins only then REALbasic
>>> do not
>>> see plugin at all.
>>>
>> It has been said several times, that the workaround would be to not
>> encapsulate the dylib into a virtual .rbx volume. Then RB will use the
>> dylib to load the plugin in the IDE. THe other workaround is to add a
>> dummy pef target in the rbx, and you will be fine
>
> I don't believe this is a problem in 2005/6 anymore. Or rather, I
> haven't experienced the problem myself with some of our plugins that
> only have Mach-O, Windows, and Linux targets.

Jonathan,

So If I build plugin.rbx that contains only mach + win
It still should work with RB2005 ?

Good to know.

Another question to REAL team.
is REALbasic 2005/6 Is true MACHO compiled application?


----------------------------
P.S. Then problem comes probably that our macho plugin depends on additional
dlls that have "@executable_path/../VComponents/

Alfred says that even dylib itself without rbx should work.
Hmm this is IDEAL variant for us. I will try make it working.

Thank you guys!

Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?
Date: 05.02.06 21:38 (Sun, 5 Feb 2006 14:38:48 -0600)
From: Jonathan Johnson
On 2/5/06, Ruslan Zasukhin <<email address removed>> wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> So If I build plugin.rbx that contains only mach + win
> It still should work with RB2005 ?

Yes
>
> Good to know.
>
> Another question to REAL team.
> is REALbasic 2005/6 Is true MACHO compiled application?

No, it's a PEF application currently.

> P.S. Then problem comes probably that our macho plugin depends on additional
> dlls that have "@executable_path/../VComponents/

That would be a problem, most likely. To work in the PEF IDE, we
create a dummy bundle structure in the /tmp directory. We then use
CFBundleCreate to load it up, and find the main entrypoint.

> Alfred says that even dylib itself without rbx should work.
> Hmm this is IDEAL variant for us. I will try make it working.

It won't in 2006r1 due to a bug. You should always distribute plugins
in RBX format for your users, and only debug with plain dylibs.

HTH,
Jon

Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?
Date: 06.02.06 09:20 (Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:20:56 +0200)
From: Ruslan Zasukhin
On 2/5/06 10:38 PM, "Jonathan Johnson" <<email address removed>> wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

>> Another question to REAL team.
>> is REALbasic 2005/6 Is true MACHO compiled application?
>
> No, it's a PEF application currently.

Aha! This what I did guess.

>> P.S. Then problem comes probably that our macho plugin depends on additional
>> dlls that have "@executable_path/../VComponents/
>
> That would be a problem, most likely. To work in the PEF IDE, we
> create a dummy bundle structure in the /tmp directory. We then use
> CFBundleCreate to load it up, and find the main entrypoint.

I see. So yes of course VComponents will not work from inside of RB.

>> Alfred says that even dylib itself without rbx should work.
>> Hmm this is IDEAL variant for us. I will try make it working.
>
> It won't in 2006r1 due to a bug. You should always distribute plugins
> in RBX format for your users, and only debug with plain dylibs.

I see.

Jonathan, problem with rbx format is that then USERS cannot change
@executable_path of embedded dylib if they need.

Right ?

Such design reduce flexibility

Or exists some, way may be, extract dylib from RBX, change it and put back ?

Re: What plugin REALbasic choose to load?
Date: 06.02.06 11:15 (Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:15:01 +0100)
From: Christian Schmitz
Jonathan Johnson <<email address removed>> wrote:

> That would be a problem, most likely. To work in the PEF IDE, we
> create a dummy bundle structure in the /tmp directory. We then use
> CFBundleCreate to load it up, and find the main entrypoint.

What shit is that?

You can load .dylib files from PEF application directly as my plugin
SoftDeclareMBS class does it.

Mfg
Christian